VMware Cloud Community
rondebbs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problem after changing VM to use Physical CD/DVD

Hello, I got my first VM up and running with win server 2016 using the CD pointing to the ISO file.  I then installed SQL server.  Now I am trying to load some old  trial software from CD.  So I changed the VM to use the physical host CD drive (screen print) rather than pointing to ISO.  It seems the  VM will not Power  On after the change.  I've done everything I can thing of including rebooting the host.  I tried to change settings back  to  the original ISO setup but it also tells me it can not make those changes because of current state.  I have no way of powering on the VM.  The exsi 6.7 host is up and not in maint mode or anything.  I'm new with VMware, any ideas?  Is there something wrong with my CD config below? 
At this point I  would be fine with just getting back to where I was (with CD pointing to ISO) and have the VM run again.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry - I could not resist - it sounds so silly but it is still  true ....
Sometimes - when ESXi is in this mood - like making statements like "operation not possible because vm is powered  off" it just needs to do it in baby-steps.
So dont expect that it can handle a change - instead first remove the device - check if it is gone - and then add a new  one.
That often helps ...

Ulli

0 Kudos
rondebbs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's strange, I can go in edit and click the x on the cd and it appears that it is removed.  But once I hit save I get the errors below - Operation is not allowed in current state.  It says the VM is status normal.  I'm not sure what state it is in?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos