VMware Cloud Community
hardcore2031
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Power outage while moving files between data stores "Unable to enumerate all disks"

Homelabber here using the 6.7.0 Update 2 version of ESXi.  I was moving a server's files using the Datastore Browser between my Datastore1 (ssd) to Datastore2 (hdd).  During this process we suffered a power outage and the server had a hard shutdown cancelling the transfer operation.  After the outage I tried moving the remaining files however I kept getting a message that some of the files already existed on the second datastore.  I did a "cp" to get what I thought I needed moved over which is why you'll see there are 2 very large disk files.  When this was all done, I attempted to start the VM from its new location on Datastore2, however when I did I got the message that VMWare was "Unable to enumerate all disks."

Am I screwed here?  I looked around the forums based on that error message, and it seemed as if some of the files could be corrected or recreated so long as I had the flat file.  I'm willing to try anything, and any help is appreciated.  Thanks in adavance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hardcore2031
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After working on this for the rest of the day, my issue was that my descriptor file was missing or incorrect.  I followed the instructions to recreate it from the flat file found here: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1002511  Once completing those instructions I tried starting the VM and got an "unable to lock file" error.  So I rebooted the ESXi host.  Upon coming back up, I again tried to start the VM, and this time it was successful.  I wanted to come back and update in case someone stumbled upon this thread in the future.  Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The vmware.log that was created when you tried to start the VM should tell you what exactly is missing.

If unsure attach it  to your next reply

0 Kudos
hardcore2031
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I attempt to start the VM, a new log file isn't created from what I'm seeing (most recent log files are from June 7) I do however get this error message in the web console.

vmmessage.PNG

0 Kudos
hardcore2031
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After working on this for the rest of the day, my issue was that my descriptor file was missing or incorrect.  I followed the instructions to recreate it from the flat file found here: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1002511  Once completing those instructions I tried starting the VM and got an "unable to lock file" error.  So I rebooted the ESXi host.  Upon coming back up, I again tried to start the VM, and this time it was successful.  I wanted to come back and update in case someone stumbled upon this thread in the future.  Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos