VMware Cloud Community
edu4001
Contributor
Contributor

Power on VM when esx detect that this VM is poweroff

Hi,

I have an esxi server with serveral VM's, Linux and Windows VM's..The esx host have 128Gb Ram and one of the more importants virtual machines have 80Gb of RAM.Randomly this VM (Centos 7) unexpectedly have poweroff, I registered this case in the last year 4 times...I don't see any information and logs on esx and vm.. It's posible that Esx detect a high consume of memory in this VM an shutdown it to prevent block Esx host.  The rest of the VM are in esx ok..all poweron...

Other question, Does the esx host have any mechanism to turn on a vm when it detects that it is turned off?

Best Regards.

Thanks

Eduardo

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vXav
Expert
Expert

ESX will not shut down a VM when high memory usage. There are several memory reclamation mechanisms that will kick in.

When it happens you should check the hostd and vmkernel logs on the host as well as the vmware.log / vmware-x.log in the VM folder on the datastore.

Otherwise it could be something going on in the guest but then...

If you wanted the VM to power on when it's off you'll have to use PowerCLI and run a script as a scheduled task on a server for example.

something like:

if ( (Get-VM "CentOS-VM").powerstate -eq 'poweredoff' ) { Get-VM "CentOS-VM" | Start-VM }

If you decide to go that route, remember to disable the task when you do some maintenance on the server.

0 Kudos