VMware Cloud Community
Saltshaker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Power on VM during Consolidation?

Just wondering if I can power on a VM that is going through Consolidation.There's no snapshots listed but it threw up an warning that is was needed. Its a very large VM on ESXI 6.7 that is consolidating very slowly so should I try to wait it out or can I safely power it on? Thank in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Nope, cannot be powered on/off while the consolidation is running. You will have to wait for it to complete.

Cheers,

Supreet

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't think you can power it on during that operation. Even if you can, if consolidation is taking a long time then powering it on will only exacerbate the problem. Leave it off if you can.

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Nope, cannot be powered on/off while the consolidation is running. You will have to wait for it to complete.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
Saltshaker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the prompt reply. Its still at 5% so it may take a while but can it be cancelled? Will that just cause more issues?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Definitely do not cancel the consolidation.

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Cancelling a snapshot task is not recommended, unless you have a valid backup of the VM which can be reverted to in case it gets corrupted during the cancelling of the task. However if you ask me personally, it is a strong NO NO!

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
Saltshaker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, thanks again for the help. I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

If you still want to proceed with the cancellation, you can refer to the steps in the blog - Cancel Remove Snapshot Task | Virtual Allan​. If it does not cancel, restart the management agents on the host (this will obviously kill the other running tasks as well).

Cheers,

Supreet​

0 Kudos
Saltshaker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much. I am not sure whether to wait this out or not since it is taking quite a long time but I am hoping that I can get this up and running soon.