VMware Cloud Community
actyler1001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Power off non-essential VMs during HA event

Does anyone know how to configure vSphere HA to shut off specific VMs in the event of a host failure/HA event.  I know that you can disable restart priority for non-essential VMs, but if those VMs happen to exist on a host that is still up and running, I'd like to shut them down and make the resources available for more critical workloads that may be in the process of being powered up.

Regards,

Adam Tyler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There's no specific capability to do exactly as you ask. Disabling HA on specific VMs only works if those VMs are on a host which fails; it does nothing for surviving VMs that you wish to deprioritize. The only good solution here would be to script something which watches for an HA event and shuts those VMs down. Quickest thing that comes to mind would be integrating Log Insight and vRealize Orchestrator together and have vRLI watch for the HA event and trigger a workflow in vRO which calls out to vCenter to initiate a shutdown request. If not clear, this would be a manual scripting/cobbling things together approach.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
lucasbernadsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi there! I think you are looking for HA overrides.

Here it is a stepby-step to acomplish that How to Disable VMware HA for individual VM using VM Overrides option

Regards!

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There's no specific capability to do exactly as you ask. Disabling HA on specific VMs only works if those VMs are on a host which fails; it does nothing for surviving VMs that you wish to deprioritize. The only good solution here would be to script something which watches for an HA event and shuts those VMs down. Quickest thing that comes to mind would be integrating Log Insight and vRealize Orchestrator together and have vRLI watch for the HA event and trigger a workflow in vRO which calls out to vCenter to initiate a shutdown request. If not clear, this would be a manual scripting/cobbling things together approach.

lucasbernadsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think a better choice than log insight would be VEBA (VMware event broker appliance) VMware Event Broker Appliance | VMware Flings

0 Kudos
actyler1001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, this is sort of what I figured.  Strange that native vCenter doesn't allow you to complete basic tasks on an HA event.

Regards,

Adam Tyler

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That's just not HA's function and what you're seeking to do is uncommon. In those cases, you rely upon automation. VEBA is another good option as pointed out by lucasbernadsky​.

actyler1001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for all the input.  I realize HA's function is to provide high availability in the event of host isolation or failure.  I was just stating that the I was surprised the vCenter appliance which manages the VMware environment doesn't have a mechanism for performing basic VM tasks on an HA event.  Ie..  Shut down VM, create clone, start vm, etc...

vCenter does a lot more than manage HA.  Why not schedule basic tasks from certain events...  I'll have to take some time to look at these alternative tools you guys have referenced.  Thanks again.

-Adam

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

SRM can do this in a DR context, but not HA.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ZibiM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can try to use VEBA fling for that:

VMware Event Broker Appliance | VMware Flings

Please look up the vmworld session "If this then that" or just go straight to William Lam blog

0 Kudos