VMware Cloud Community
Kelv1nW
Contributor
Contributor

Portgroup/vmnic losing connectivity..

Hi Guys

I've recently dropped a Mellanox MCX311A 10Gbe card into each of my HP Microserver Gen10's, connected via DAC cables to a Unifi US-16-XG switch. This is the main NIC for vSwitch0, and I've got multiple port groups and vmnics assigned to it. For example

• VLAN-10 NFS
  • VLAN-12 VMOTION

But my problem is, a portgroup/vmnic seems to lose connectivity once it carries any significant amount of traffic, for example, I can mount an NFS datastore from my NAS, start a VM, then after a couple of minutes the portgroup/vmnic carrying the NFS loses connectivity, it can't be pinged etc. Yet the other port groups (on the same physical NIC) remain up and connected.  If I've move the NFS vmnic to another portgroup, the same thing happens.

My next steps are to update the firmware on the card, and upgrade ESXi to 6.7u2..

But I'm wondering if anybody else has seen or? or any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kelv1nW
Contributor
Contributor

Updating the MC311A firmware seems to fixed this, it was on v2.10, upgraded to 2.42, and initial tests are promising, I've had NFS going back and forth for 20 minutes (usually it would drop within a couple of minutes).

0 Kudos