VMware Cloud Community
musi_raza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Physical vs Virtual memory

Need to know if i can have more than 24GB virtual memory be distributed among 3 virtual machines from 24GB physical memory on the host.

For example, i have a host with 24GB physical memory

Then can i have the following

1st VM    18GB

2nd VM    8GB

3rd VM  8GB

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@musi_raza 

Moderator: Please try and create threads in the area for the product used - moved to vSphere Discussions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You can overcommit memory, and it's a common practice.
The thing is what will happen if all the VMs start needing all memory resources at the same time. (Balloning/Swapping) 
Other than that, you would be fine. 

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

It's possible to do memory-overcommitting for your VMs, but remember it can reduce the overall performance of the ESXi host and its virtual machines because, in confronting lack of memory resources, they (VMs) just using their swap files. If you didn't provide a physical disk with higher IOPS (like the SSD) as the swap space, many problems in the operation of virtual machines will be observed.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@musi_raza 

Which VMware product?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
musi_raza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 6.5

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@musi_raza 

Moderator: Please try and create threads in the area for the product used - moved to vSphere Discussions.

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You can overcommit memory, and it's a common practice.
The thing is what will happen if all the VMs start needing all memory resources at the same time. (Balloning/Swapping) 
Other than that, you would be fine. 

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

It's possible to do memory-overcommitting for your VMs, but remember it can reduce the overall performance of the ESXi host and its virtual machines because, in confronting lack of memory resources, they (VMs) just using their swap files. If you didn't provide a physical disk with higher IOPS (like the SSD) as the swap space, many problems in the operation of virtual machines will be observed.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos