VMware Cloud Community
Nacam
Contributor
Contributor

Passthrough of Adaptec ASR-51645 successful but StorageManager will not find the card in Windows VM.

Hi everyone;

I've been trying to find a solution to this issue with no avail.  I have an ESXi 6.5U2 Server that is currently running a Windows 2012R2 file server.  This file server used to be a Windows standalone box with the RAID controller in the subject line.  I have moved this to a virtual server and was able to see the original disk volume.  The problem is when I load Adaptec Storage Manager, it will not find the controller even though Windows says it's there and the driver is loaded, current and I have unfettered access to the old disk volume.  Has anyone ran into this before? I checked the firmware on the card and it is also current.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Please attach the vmware.log of the win2012 VM to your next reply

0 Kudos
Nacam
Contributor
Contributor

vmware.log attached.  I double checked the Windows logs and they are clean.  When I log into Adaptec storage manager it tells me "No controllers were found on this system".

0 Kudos
Nacam
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone want to take a look at this?  Still having this issue.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I would suggest that you forget the idea of using passthrough for the adaptec controller and instead serve the disks directly as RDMs.
Seems to be the easier way.

0 Kudos
Nacam
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think my controller supports Raw device mapping:

RAW Device Setup (Series 6, 7, 8 Only):

https://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/support/infocenter/release-2016-1/index.jsp?topic=/maxview_arcco...

Which is why I took this route. Going to try switching slots with a couple of things before I give up.

Thanks for you help.

Cheers.

0 Kudos