VMware Cloud Community
FernandoSuperGG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

PSOD with Intel X520 PCI Passthrough to Server 2012 R2

ESXi is PSOD'ing when running the "Intel Hardware Diagnostics" tool.

Steps to reproduce:

Device Manager > right click on X520 > Link Speed > Diagnostics > Hardware > Run Test

Hardware:

- Dell R710, Intel Xeon L5520, 64GB Memory.

- Intel X520-DA2

Software:

- R710 BIOS 6.4.0

- 6.5.0 Update 1 (Build 5969303) [Dell Custom ISO]

- X520 Adapter Driver 22.9.16.0 (on guest)

I can't get the logs anymore, only a screenshot attached, but I'll report this anyway...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A couple things, I see. First, may not be related, but just FYI all Dell 11th gen servers like your R710 are not officially supported with vSphere 6.5. Second, since this is a 10 GbE card, I noticed your build number is one impacted by a long-standing bug having to do with 10 GbE adapters. VMware just released a patch for this on Tuesday that will bring the build number up to the 7 range. It's highly recommend you install that build.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A couple things, I see. First, may not be related, but just FYI all Dell 11th gen servers like your R710 are not officially supported with vSphere 6.5. Second, since this is a 10 GbE card, I noticed your build number is one impacted by a long-standing bug having to do with 10 GbE adapters. VMware just released a patch for this on Tuesday that will bring the build number up to the 7 range. It's highly recommend you install that build.