VMware Cloud Community
madmax097
Contributor
Contributor

PCI devices on Local client PC

Hello everyone. I am exploring possibly utilizing VMware in our environment for a few different applications. We currently have a system that uses a PCI device in a local computer (out in the field) that connects to a Modbus control system. This is an Old system that runs on WinXP and as it stands cannot be upgraded to a newer OS. I would like to Virtualize the XP machine (which I have done and that worked) but I need to be able to utilize the PCI device on the local client machine, not the ESXI server. I have been reading pretty extensively and I cannot find a clear answer as to whether or not this will work. 

Basically my question is this - Can I utilize a PCI device from a client machine and pass through to the Guest OS using VMWare Esxi? I know that Workstation cannot but I am unsure as to whether or not ESXI will help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Almost 100% sure that's not possible - PCI passthrough is for host resources, not the local/client device.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos