VMware Cloud Community
BarryUWSEFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Optimization for Windows Server 2019

Creating a Windows Server 2019 VM for an application server. vSphere 6.7.

In the past our department has never given a lot of thought to server optimization for vm's, as they do not come with all the baggage that desktop OS do, and they have always been fine. There is not even that much documentation about server optimization, not like Windows 10 for example. But the OSOT recently included support for Server 2019, although despite that there is not any documentation  for using it like there is for Win 10, at least that I can find. So I am curious if anyone has been using the OSOT for servers and what your experience is? If not OSOT do you use any other documented guidance?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That's the point of OSOT, the contributors come from the EUC business unit:

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 08.56.39.png

I've not seen a more generic official Windows Server 2019 best practice guide.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Not sure what level of detail you are after, but this may help (if not already seen): VMware Operating System Optimization Tool Guide | VMware

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
BarryUWSEFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, it is somewhat helpful, but it does specify that it is for desktops and RDSH servers, so again the focus is on end user computing rather than application or other general purpose servers. I am very familiar with the guide for optimizing Windows 10, and this is similar. I have slated some time tomorrow for this project so I will run OSOT and see what I find.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

That's the point of OSOT, the contributors come from the EUC business unit:

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 08.56.39.png

I've not seen a more generic official Windows Server 2019 best practice guide.

0 Kudos
BarryUWSEFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Makes sense, thanks.

0 Kudos
BarryUWSEFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

https://www.vladan.fr/performance-optimized-vm-of-windows-server-2016-on-esxi-6-5-creation-steps-gui...

There s really not a whole lot to do, maybe give it the paravirtual controller and disable unneeded hardware. In my case I am building a SQL server so there are a few other tweaks.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

For SQL Server: Updated – Microsoft SQL Server on vSphere Best Practices - Virtualize Applications

sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Outside of horizon the only time woud use the optimization tool is for an terminal server. Barring that they turn off things normal server software needs, and that's the point, for desktop experience you don't need all of that.