Contributor
Contributor

OS Hard Disk Storage Migration

Hi VMWare Community,

I have 3 HDs on my SQL Storage VM.

* 120GB - OS

* 3TB - Data

* 3TB - Backup

Is it safe to migrate the my OS HD to another datastore and also will the its drive letter change or still be the same?

Thank you

6 Replies
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Hi!

If you migrate virtual disk from one datastore to another this won't change drive letter inside OS.

Basically it's safe to migrate virtual disks. However there are many things to know. For example if a new datastore has the same performance as current.

0 Kudos
rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi arvinmquizon

To my knowledge and experience, there will not be any changes to disks or drive letters, when you do storage vmotion.

Please check the if there is any RDMs on the VM (other two disks`3TB), if there don't make any changes on Advanced section>Destination Format.

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,
0 Kudos
arvinmquizon
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Finikiez. Im just worried about data loss that might put the production database down because we need to restore or such. Because we have a SQL Cluster and its storage for N1 and N2 is via iSCSI Role on the VM that we need to migrate its OS.

0 Kudos
arvinmquizon
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you also Rajen. There are no RDMs configured on any of the storages. We're just worried that we might have a reconfig since this is a SQL Cluster having this VM the storage via iSCSI for its node N1 and N2. Which is the Hard disk 2 and 3.

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

You can svmotion OS disk without any problem.

rajen450m
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Then nothing to worry, you can storage vmotion the OS disk.

Raj M Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. Visit www.hypervmwarecloud.com for my blog posts, step-by-step procedures etc.,