VMware Cloud Community
Kaique10md
Contributor
Contributor

Not add 10G 2P X520 Ethernet network adapter

I have a DELL R610 server and recently added the 10G 2P X520 Ethernet network adapter. On this server I installed VMware ESXi 6.7.0. but I can't add this new PCI as a network adapter.

Attached you can see that it does not give me the option to add a new network adapter.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

1. Dell 11. Gen are not certified for ESXi 6.7. You cant perform a fresh install from scratch... you have upgrade from previous 6.x right?

2. You have installed https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=DT-ESXI67-INTEL-IXGBEN-1720&productId=742 ?

Regards
Joerg

0 Kudos
Kaique10md
Contributor
Contributor

Should I install version 5.5 and this driver?

Regards

Kaique

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Last official supportet version is 6.0uX for R610. We have 6.5 latest running (not supportet) on them.

If you have a Dell x520 and using the Dell Custom ESXi Image iam pretty sure it comes with the right driver. If not... just take a look to VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search find your card, press the + sign and follow the link with the right version. It will tell you if the driver comes with ESXi or 3rd. Party and present the download link.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
Kaique10md
Contributor
Contributor

Dear,

I made an installation ISO of this: https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER05012919M/1/BIOS_0YV9D_LN_6.6.0.BIN and later installed this drive you informed me. But I still can't add my network adapter.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Can you proof that the card is in working conditions?

• does it work in a windows/linux pc
  • if you put the tranceivers or DAC into the ports get you green lights?

We are a dell shop and use dozen of 82599 and 510 and maybe x520 (we switch later to broadcoms) but i cant remember if you can see an additional NIC within iDRAC/OMSA. For sure you will see the Cards in newer generations of Dell Poweredge.  I will check this out.

Within ESXi. If the card register on the server during startup it will be visible when running "lspci" from command line. If you use | grep -i intel  or x520. Example:

[root@esx-node-05:~] lspci -vv | grep -i Gigabit

0000:04:00.0 Network controller Ethernet controller: Intel(R) 82599 10 Gigabit Dual Port Network Connection [vmnic4]

0000:04:00.1 Network controller Ethernet controller: Intel(R) 82599 10 Gigabit Dual Port Network Connection [vmnic5]

As long as lspci doesnt show the card the x520 isnt working in the PCI slot youre using. If you see the card.... get the PCIID and VendorID and we will find the right driver. The X520 is not a new card so iam pretty sure that the driver must already into the Dell 6.5u3 ISO Image.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
Kaique10md
Contributor
Contributor

See attached, I find the PCI card, but I can not add a new network adapter.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Great!

Now disable the PCI Passtrough Feature for that PCI/BUS Device. You have remove that device from the ESXi OS and prepare it to add it directly to a VM for special purpose. You can use it for ESX or for VM.. but not both at same time!

Was there another card into that slot prior?

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
Kaique10md
Contributor
Contributor

I will use it directly for a specific VM that contains Mikrotik RouterOS. Can you help me on how I do this?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Click "Edit settings" on the specific VM and try to add a PCI Device. From the dropdown menu select your X520 PCI Card.

WHY you ask to make the Card usable under ESXi when you not want to use it for ESXi? *ggggrrrrrrr* Smiley Wink

Any way.. whats the reason to bypass the NIC into the VM instead of using it as a Uplink on a vSwitch together with a normal VM Portgroup which is used by a vNIC?

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos