VMware Cloud Community
Ratchet2657
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not able to increase storage in my Datastore for ESXi 6.0

I have an issue with ESXi 6.0.  I have 398 GB free space in my Datastore. I added an extra 1.2 TB Hard drive and I can see in iLO on the HP server that it detects the new Hard drive. I go through the steps to add the additional storage space, but when I get to "Increase Datastore Capacity" and then on the left is Extent Device, it's blank and doesn't show anything.

pastedImage_0.png

What could be the issue?  I was thinking of upgrading to 6.7 since I have the support and license, but don't think that will fix the issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I still only see 5.46 TB of space available. How do I see the 1.2 TB drive I just installed and added to the HP Array.

What exactly did you do with the drive in the Array Configuration Utility? Did you add it as a separate drive, or did you add it to the existing RAID set?

In case you added to the RAID set, you may also need to increase the LUN (logical unit) from within the RAID configuration tool, because it's the LUN which gets presented to the operating system.

The steps on short:

1. add the new HDD to the RAID set (assuming it's the same size/model as the existing HDDs)
  2. increase the LUN (logical unit) size in the RAID configuration tool
  3. increase the datastore from within ESXi

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

I have 398 GB free space in my Datastore. I added an extra 1.2 TB Hard drive ...

please explain the current layout.

• Are these local disks connected to a RAID controller?
  • Are they configured in a RAID set or JBOD?
  • In case of using a RAID controller, did you configure the LUN on the disk/RAID set?
  • Are you trying to add the 1.2TB disk as an extent to the existing datastore?

Personally, I'd rather use the new disk as a separate datastore.

André

0 Kudos
Ratchet2657
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, their connected to a RAID controller.

Not sure what is JBOD, since I didn't do the initial configuration. Not sure where to find that out.

Not sure where to configure the LUN. You have to excuse me, I come from a Hyper-V environment and just took on this client that is using VMware, so I'm not as knowledgeable about VMware.

Yes, just trying to add that 1.2 TB as an extent to the existing Datastore. I need to create a new VM and need to increase the free space of 398 GB.  Here are some more screen shots:

pastedImage_0.png

When I click Increase,

pastedImage_1.png

this is what I see.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How is the current RAID set/LUN configured on the RAID controller, i.e. how many disks, and which RAID level.

What exactly did you do so far with the new disk in regarding the RAID configuration.

Assuming that the RAID set currently consists of e.g. five 1.2TB disks, you should be able to add the new disk to the existing RAID set using HPE's RAID Configuration Utility, and expand the LUN, so that the new size is presented to the operating system, i.e. ESXi.

André

0 Kudos
khiregange
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

are you able to see the LUN when you try to create a  new datastore, does that LUN gets listed ?

If its not getting listed when you try to add this as an extent then  please upload the vmkernel.log

Try partedutil getptbl "/vmfs/devices/disks/naa.600xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" and share the output  to check if the LUN has any VMFS partition already created

Share the below command output - >

esxcli storage core device capacity list 

You can also try representing the LUN and representing with proper block size and check if it detects the LUN.

0 Kudos
Ratchet2657
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Assuming that the RAID set currently consists of e.g. five 1.2TB disks, you should be able to add the new disk to the existing RAID set using HPE's RAID Configuration Utility, and expand the LUN, so that the new size is presented to the operating system, i.e. ESXi."

Ok, so this makes sense. I just rebooted it into the HP Smart Array Utility and added the 1.2 TB drive. Now once that is done, how will ESXi know to use that additional 1.2 TB Drive. Will I be able to go and increase the capacity from my previous screen shots?

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

yes - if the raid is expanded esxi will see the free space - so proceed with the steps you already tried

0 Kudos
Ratchet2657
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I still can't see the additional 1.2 TB drive that I just installed. It's finished in HP Smart Array because I can see in iLO and when I log into Vsphere Client. I still can't increase the storage capacity. I still see 294 GB of free space. Where is the additional 1.2 TB drive I just installed?   This is still what I'm seeing.  ESXi doesn't see the additional drive.

0 Kudos
Ratchet2657
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I still only see 5.46 TB of space available. How do I see the 1.2 TB drive I just installed and added to the HP Array.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Have you told ESXi to rescan the HBA?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What exactly did you do with the drive in the Array Configuration Utility? Did you add it as a separate drive, or did you add it to the existing RAID set?

In case you added to the RAID set, you may also need to increase the LUN (logical unit) from within the RAID configuration tool, because it's the LUN which gets presented to the operating system.

The steps on short:

1. add the new HDD to the RAID set (assuming it's the same size/model as the existing HDDs)

André

0 Kudos
Ratchet2657
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The steps on short:

Ok, that's what I'm missing now. I'll have to boot it back up into the HP Array Configuration and increase the LUN size in the tool.  I know there is a way in CLI, but I'm more familiar with the GUI. Then hopefully in the vsphere client, I'll be able to increase the datastore. I'll try this on Tuesday and report back. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Ratchet2657
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The steps on short:

Thank you so much. That worked. I was able to boot it up in the HP Smart Storage Administrator and select Extend Logical Drive​ then went into vsphere client and now I was able to increase Datastore capacity since it now saw the additional space for the LUN.

0 Kudos