VMware Cloud Community
muhammadamir
Contributor
Contributor

Not able to extend D drive volume on my file server on a VM (vSphere Client version 6.5.0.20000)

Hello Guys,

I'm trying to extend the space on the D drive on my Fileserver, but not able to do it. There is a C drive & a D drive on it. The D drive is currently having all the shares & obviously data.

I have removed the snapshot on it, option used to be grayed out, after removing the snapshot, I can change it, but there is errors coming up not letting me do it. Although, I'm to create a different drive volume such as E drive, but since all the shares are point to D drive, I need to extend the D drive, please let me know how to go about it ASAP.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

please attach the VM's configuration (.vmx) file as well as its vmware.log file to a reply post, and provide the exact error message.

Is this a stand alone host, or is it managed by vCenter Server?

André

0 Kudos
muhammadamir
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, thanks for your reply. The exact error, I recieve "Invalid or unsupported virtual machine configuration" & also vSphere Replication does not support changing the length of a replicated disk. We have this VM & all of other VMs being replicated to a backsite. & if you tell me exactly, where to get these logs. I can get them & yes, we are using the Vsphere vCenter Server, well the appliance sine its the 6.5 version.

Please, help. By the way, when I add additional drive that works, but problem is all my shares on this drive thats out of space, & everybody using it.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With vSphere Replication in place, please follow the steps in https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2052883​ to resize the virtual disk.

André

0 Kudos
muhammadamir
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Is there any easier way, is it is our production only File-server, following these steps, if cause issue we loose everything. Also, if I add the additional hardrive, since that worked, how can I make that to come in D drive unallocated and extend it that way instead? or what is the best practice

0 Kudos
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Hello,

Your issue is related to replication, and if it is difficult to follow this KB : VMware Knowledge Base

And as I understand you can add a new drive with bigger size than D as E drive. So add it as  E: drive and copy data from D to E. at the End and at T=0 (maintenance windows after working hours) switch the drive letters and do the same share.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I assume that you do have a backup, although the procedure shouldn't cause any issues.

It may look complicated, but the only action you actually do on the production VM is to increase the virtual disk size from the GUI, and extend the partition from within the OS.  If something goes wrong with the replication part, you may simply reconfigure it.

André

0 Kudos