VMware Cloud Community
rnnltn
Contributor
Contributor

Not a valid pnic: NEED HELP PLEASE

Hi guys, I've installed an esxi on my I7-10th gen pc (my focus is to use this as an esxi server for home lab)

At first, I am getting an "No Network Adapter found"  during the installation.

I've used the ESXI Customizer and use net55-r8168-8.045a-napi.x86_64.vib for the net adapter.

Right now I want to create a vmnic for another vswitch. When I am trying to add an uplink, I am getting this..

And when I create it through CLI, I am now getting this error.

] esxcli network vswitch standard uplink add --uplink-name=vmnic1 --vswitch-name=vSwitch1

Not a valid pnic: vmnic1

Anyone can help me on this please?

I am using v6.5 of ESXI.

I am not a VM kind of person but I just want to make it run because I need it for my home self study lab.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you only have 1 physical NIC/port in the system you will only have 1 vmnic, which will be vmnic0

What does this command return: esxcli network nic list

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

are you sure that the phyisical nic that you used is compatible by default with VMware ESXi?
Sometimes with PC's turning ESXi servers you have to manually update the driver for the nic.

can you please check you nic's info here VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

In addition to that: Physical NIC 1 is translated to vmnic0

If you can share pc's setting i might be able to check for you.

0 Kudos