VMware Cloud Community
Thanisol
Contributor
Contributor

No more space for virtual disk windows server 2012

Hi experts,

Need your help, my vm showing the error meassage as below,  

"There is no more space for virtual disk 'Spoke 2_Win-000001.vmdk'. You might be able to continue this session by freeing disk space on the relevant volume, and clicking Retry. Click Cancel to terminate this session.."

Thanisol_0-1649344072699.png

VM configuration, 

Thanisol_1-1649344185094.png

I tried to delete the old snapshots for this VM but the issues still there !!! 

Plaese help me to resolve this issue..  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You have checked the Spoke2_LUN1 datastore to see what space is used/free?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Thanisol
Contributor
Contributor

Yes , I checked the Spoke2_LUN1 datastore and there is no free space avialble on that datastore. and it has no snapshots. 

Thanisol_0-1649346209791.png

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Only option that will work in this case is NOT TO ANSWER until you was able to free up some space.
And trying to free up space by deleting an existing snapshot is probably the worst thing you an do.

If necessary kill the VM by stopping the process and then reconfigure the VM and move one of the vmdks to another datastore.

Ulli

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Could not see your first reply ....
Kill the VM by stopping the process.
Then move one of the snapshotfiles
(YES - you have snapshots as you will find out if you look via WinSCP or Putty)
to the datastore 1 (5)
reconfigure the VM by editing the vmdk-descriptorfile.
Then you should be able to continue the VM ...

Ulli

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your unnecessary duplicate thread has been reported, expect moderators to delete it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos