VMware Cloud Community
MichaelBGL
Contributor
Contributor

No Firmware Infos under "Configure" , "Firmware" on te ESX Host Vers. 6.7U3 and also 7.0

Hi ,

When we choose on an ESX Host , Configure and the Firmware we are unable to see the Frirmware Info of the Components . 

What can be the Reason for this ? 

Thanks 

Michael 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
The Bios U30 version is from 2018
Usually this occurs with low firmware levels.
At HPE we have The Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) is a comprehensive systems software and firmware update solution, which is delivered as a single ISO image.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_30e65b7c3541426bb89a6157c6#tab1

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
MichaelBGL
Contributor
Contributor

Good Morning , 

Thanks for the Link , 

I downloaded the 05-2021 Servicepack ISO . But the latest Version of BIOS , Version U30 v2.50 (05/24/2021) is installed . 

Also the last ILO5 Version 2.44 . 

I download the last HPE Agentless management Bundle for ESX 7.0 under: 

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_a7af1b9901e64e399d5e5fdd3a&swEnvOid=200...

and the last ILO Driver Bundle Smart Component : 
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_cc43930523c74752b1e37147bb&swEnvOid=200...

But when i create an Baseline with this Components vcenter shows up that the Baselines are Compliant . 

I think because i download the last ESX 7.0 U2 Customized HP Image . 

Do you have other Tipps ? 

Thanks 

Michael 

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
My advice would be to stay on version 6.7U3 for some time.
If you need version 7.0 for some reason, I recommend version 7.0U1.

Show the client version you are using (Help->About).
Have you used another browser?

Enrique Espinel
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
MichaelBGL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi , 

I dont see this in our Version 6.7 U3 Servers too. 

Must be another Problem , independent from Version . 

Michael 

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
Version 7.0U2 is currently having serious problems. You can search this forum about them.
What I stated in the previous post is my personal opinion.

Of course your problem does not depend on the ESXi version.
You are connecting directly to the ESXi host? which client version do you have?

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
MichaelBGL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi , 

I connect over Vcenter 7.0 U2 . 

vSphere Client Version 7.0.2.00200

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
Try connecting the vsphere client (web) directly to the ESXi Host and check if the Firmware is displayed.
The ESXi host has the host client (client version)
as in this image.

e_espinel_0-1628012020553.png

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
MichaelBGL
Contributor
Contributor

Good Morning , 

Here are the Build Numbers : 

Client version:  1.34.8   Client build number:  17417756

Under Manage / Packages i can see the Firmware from the Components .

Michael 

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

Did you connect directly to the ESXi host using web access?. from there you still do not see the firmware levels?

https://FQDN-or-IP-Address-of-ESXi-host/UI

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
srodenburg
Expert
Expert

This is an old topic but I wanted to partially answer it anyway:

@MichaelBGL wrote:

Good Morning , 

Here are the Build Numbers : 

Client version:  1.34.8   Client build number:  17417756

Under Manage / Packages i can see the Firmware from the Components .

Michael 

What you are seeing is not firmware versions. It's driver versions that you see there. But it does not show you what driver is actually in use when both sync and async drivers are installed.

Also, there is no "firmware" display of any kind in the host local GUI so why Enrique Espinel wants you to go there is a mystery to me.

I have never seen the "Firmware version" of storage or network adapters being populated. It's always blank. Maybe it works on some OEM Vendor server hardware with some kind of management software installed but I have never seen it work, even though the hardware is fully certified and the supporting utilities are installed. I gave up trying to get it to work.

As an alternative, long ago I wrote a powershell script that cycles through every ESXi host in a vcenter and fetches the info that way. The output shows the driver that's in use and hardware firmware versions of all network and storage adapters and dumps it into a CSV file.

0 Kudos