VMware Cloud Community
tantony22
Contributor
Contributor

New user, and question

Hello, 

I'm a new user here, and new to vmware.  We're using vSphere at my company, and I'm looking to create a VM out of a .VDMK file.

But when I go to the datastore (850 GB), and try to upload the VDMK (30 GB), after about 35% it fails it.

Apparently its caused by browser certificate issue, but I followed the instructions to add certificate to the browser (Google Chrome), but same thing.

I'm trying to upload the VDMK to the datastore so I can create a VM from that.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
tantony22
Contributor
Contributor

This is the kb I'm looking at to create a VM out of VMDK.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2010196

0 Kudos
tantony22
Contributor
Contributor

Also, this is off topic, but I bought a 1 year support contract, but when I login into my account to create a support ticket, it says something about entitlements not found?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If it's only an issue with the Web Client / browser, you may enable SSH on the ESXi host, and use e.g. WinSCP to upload the .vmdk files to a folder on a datastore.

That said, which files do you currently have? I'm asking, because from what I understand, you have only a single .vmdk file.
Please note that the format for ESXi .vmdk files differs from that for e.g. VMware Workstation, so that it may be necessary to convert the file(s).

André

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

you can simpy upload from ESXi level even if you have issues with the Certificate in vCenter. No need to play with SSH and WinSCP

0 Kudos
jeff3987
Contributor
Contributor

called VMware, and I must say as a new customer, its a very bad first impression.  The person I was talking to, after 2 minutes, hang up the phone.  I called back, and someone else answered, but too much background noise.  They're from India, I know because I'm originally from India also.  Bad first impression VMWare.

0 Kudos
tantony22
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a US customer support number?  Not a very good first impression at all.  I was chatting with their support and I got disconnected also.  They're all based in India, not that it should matter.

0 Kudos
tantony22
Contributor
Contributor

Please, someone officially that works for VMWare please contact me.

0 Kudos
jeff3987
Contributor
Contributor

I found a few emails from VMWare, and apparently this email address below is not being monitored.  Then why is it on VMWare's website for contact?  What is going on with VMWare?  New and last VMWare customer here.

Hello, 

This email address is no longer being monitored.  For VMware Explore Europe inquiries, please reach out to the email address below. 

VMwareExploreEURegistration@vmware-events.com

VMwareExploreEURegistration@vmware-events.com

0 Kudos
tantony22
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone from VMWare here?  The lack of response from a new user like me doesn't surprise me now why the support is like this.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you tried phoning? https://www.vmware.com/support/contacts/us_support.html

The Communities are primarily for users to help one another.

Even though I work for VMware, I am not here in any official capacity and do not know how to help you with this particular matter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
tantony22
Contributor
Contributor

@scott28tt 

Yes, I did try phoning, I called 3 times.

First time, it went to India, gave the tech my details to look up my support contact, hang up after 2 minutes.

Called second time, got someone else in India, could not hear due to background noise.  Gave her my cell phone number to call back, but never did.

Called 3rd time, and got connected to India, but call was clear.  Gave the tech my support contract to look, but said they couldn't find it even though I have the email from vmware store.

So I'm not getting ANY help.  I'm a new user.  I can't even find a support email.  I logged into my customer connect but it said something about entitlements, so I can't create a support case.

I tried chat, but again, it gets disconnected.  It seems to me as a new user, if someone doesn't know the answer, they just ignore you and hangup.

0 Kudos
tantony22
Contributor
Contributor

Any other ideas?  I understand this is a voluntary community, but someone must have an answer.

0 Kudos