VMware Cloud Community
NewAndyVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New to VMWare and Virtualization

Hello

I am new to VMWare and Virtualization in general.  I was told at work that there is a product I can download,  run on my Desktop Computer for learning purposes.  (client / server / multiple VMs)

I downloaded Workstation Player but..... i guess this is not the right software.

Can someone please help me  / direct me?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

VMware Player is indeed the correct product, if you are looking for a free hypervisor. Another product - VMware Workstation - offers more features, but requires a paid license.

VMware also offers "VMware Fusion" which however is only for for MAC users.

Please note that these products have certain requirements regarding the host OS, and the hardware (processor).

If you have any issues, or questions, feel free to ask.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

VMware Player is indeed the correct product, if you are looking for a free hypervisor. Another product - VMware Workstation - offers more features, but requires a paid license.

VMware also offers "VMware Fusion" which however is only for for MAC users.

Please note that these products have certain requirements regarding the host OS, and the hardware (processor).

If you have any issues, or questions, feel free to ask.

André

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

If you want to run multiple VMs at once, you should go with VMware Workstation Pro. With Workstation Player, you can run only one VM.

Download VMware Workstation Player | VMware | IN

Windows VM | VMware Workstation Pro | IN

Comparison between VMware Workstation pro and VMware Workstation player

Cheers,

Supreet

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

SupreetK

If you want to run multiple VMs at once, you should go with VMware Workstation Pro. With Workstation Player, you can run only one VM.

Are you sure? I'm not using the latest version, but I'm able to run multiple VMs in VMware Player without issues.

André

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Oh Okay! Personally, I do not use Workstation Player. In both the below links, it has been mentioned that Player is for running one VM at a time. My bad if I have wrongly interpreted the notes in the below links -

Download VMware Workstation Player | VMware | IN​ - "....is an ideal utility for running a single virtual machine on a Windows or Linux PC."

Comparison between VMware Workstation pro and VMware Workstation player - "Run multiple VMs at one time" - There is a NO.

Would be great if it actually supports running multiple VMs at once.

Cheers,

Supreet

NewAndyVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you,

I installed VMWare ESXi 6.5 on Workstation Player as a VM.

Eventually I will figure out the networking  lol.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Eventually I will figure out the networking  lol.

Just guessing. If it's about network access for nested VMs, you'll have to enable promiscuous mode on the virtual ESXi host's port group to which the nested guests are connected.

André

0 Kudos
Ganeshpal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Andy,

Please find William Lam's below blog for nested VM, Hope it will help .

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/nested-virtualization

Thanks and Regards,

Ganeshprasad Pal

0 Kudos