VMware Cloud Community
ESXiClash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New VM from Template

Hi,

I am wondering when you deploy a New VM from a Template . in cluster Env. with 5+ Nodes, Which esxi host will perform a Copy/Deployment of New VM from template.

consider a Scenario,

Your template is registered on Host001 and When you are deploying new VM from Template you select host005. So which host will trigger the copy/Deploy new VM.

Is there any way to monitor at what rate the copy of Files at rate its Going on. Rather than just monitoring a vCenter Percentage of Completion.

How to troubleshoot bottlenecks in deploying VM from a large template 2.0 TB

Please Guide me i am missing something

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First of all, let's have a definition of a VM template:

A VM template is a master copy image of a virtual machine that includes VM disks, virtual devices, and settings. A VM template can be used many times over for the purposes of VM cloning.

As you can see, a VM template can be used for the purposes of VM cloning, and when we are talking about cloning we actually talk about storage commands, hence we have two different scenarios:

- Using VAAI (storage API) in our cluster or NOT!

If you are using VAAI in your cluster, the process of cloning VM is actually some xCopy commands in your storage array and there is no pressure on your ESXi hosts.

If you are not using VAAI in your cluster, the host which is your template owner will deliver the source data. that host has access to both source and destination datastores and will do some network file copy process (NFC)

To confirm this, you can check esxtop command or network performance charts and you should see a high amount of network traffic between the template owner host and the target host during the deployment.

I hope this could be helpful

0 Kudos
ESXiClash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well i am aware of the about XCOPY and NFC.

among 5-10 host, its hard to track the ESXTOP. just trying to understand if there is any better way.

0 Kudos
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you are using NFC for transferring files between your hosts, and you want to monitor the rate of copying files in your network (between hosts) you can use some 3rd party applications such as vROPs, vRNI, or even some products such as PRTG and OpManager.

You can use vCenter Server performance charts to monitor network performance. For example, you can measure outgoing and incoming network traffic from an ESXi host to get an idea of how much network traffic is being generated.

For esxtop command, you can use "VisualEsxtop" from VMware Flings.

I hope this could be helpful.

Cheers

0 Kudos