VMware vSphere

View Only
  • 1.  New VM - Customize Settings - Resources Unavailable

Posted Sep 25, 2018 11:04 PM

Fresh installation of ESXi 6.7 on Dell PE T410.

I was able to create the first VM (CentOS) without issue.

Then I went to create another (doesn't matter which O/S) and when presented with the "Customize settings" page, none of the resources are available.

Drop-downs for CPU, memory, hard disk, network - all of them - nothing appears.

I wiped the system clean, reinstalled ESXi 6.7, created a VM without issue, and then went to do another - same thing.

This is really odd.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Randal

• 2.  RE: New VM - Customize Settings - Resources Unavailable

Posted Sep 25, 2018 11:14 PM

First, the T410 is quite far out of support (last version being 5.5), so you may have mixed results to begin with. Second, what are the CPU/memory resources of this server and what is the configuration you're giving the first VM you create?

• 3.  RE: New VM - Customize Settings - Resources Unavailable

Posted Sep 25, 2018 11:17 PM

2 x Intel Xeon X5650 @ 2.67Ghz

64GB RAM

The first VM gets 4GB RAM and 2 vCPUs. Nothing harsh.

UPDATE: Just rebooted the server and the resources are available again (didn't reinstall this time). Last time, the problem persisted over several reboots. Let me track the progress here. I also got a UI error (using Firefox) - will try Chrome as well. Looks like the fat client is no longer available, and I don't have vCenter in my test lab. We use XenServer/XenCenter at work :-)

UPDATE 2: Tried to create a third VM, that same problem popped up again. Switched to Chrome, it let's me create the VM. I'm thinking it's a browser issue... not a hypervisor issue. My mind boggles.

• 4.  RE: New VM - Customize Settings - Resources Unavailable
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 25, 2018 11:23 PM

Update your ESXi embedded host client to the version available here.

• 5.  RE: New VM - Customize Settings - Resources Unavailable

Posted Sep 25, 2018 11:43 PM

Wow - several virtual machine creations later using Firefox and I haven't seen that problem again.

Thanks for your fast help on this!

For those who may have come across this error as well, this is what I did to update the embedded server for ESXi:

$ ssh root@192.168.6.38 esxcli software vib install -v http://download3.vmware.com/software/vmw-tools/esxui/esxui-signed-9277095.vib

Password:

Installation Result

Reboot Required: false

VIBs Installed: VMware_bootbank_esx-ui_1.31.0-9277095

VIBs Removed: VMware_bootbank_esx-ui_1.25.0-7872652

VIBs Skipped: