VMware Cloud Community
NunoAP
Contributor
Contributor

Network adapters missing on Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit after virtualization

Hi all,

I have Windows Server 2008 R2 running in a virtual machine, vSphere 5.0, which machine I took from a backup of a physical machine with EBR/Acronis.

The issue that I'm facing is to configure the network adapters, when windows starts gives me an error saying that couldn't install the drivers and don´t show-up any network adapter in the "Network and Sharing Center". I've tried all the configuration possibilities for the netwok adapters in vSphere with no success.

Attached some printscreens.

If anyone could help me, It would be must appreciated!

Thanks in avance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

Hi!

Welcome to Windows Server and that kind of things.

Did you check if there are any Ghost NIC? It's a thing that I faced a lot and it can happen when doing V2V conversions.

Try this: How to Remove Hidden Network Adapters | www.extropy.com

And if not, regedit is your friend: https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-78/jsi-tip-1488-how-do-i-remove-nic-registry

If you remove the NIC and added again is when you face the problem about the drivers? If so, has the VM installed VMware tools?

Is the NIC VMXNET3? or which kind of NIC?

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
NunoAP
Contributor
Contributor

Hi dbalcaraz,

Thanks for you fast reply.

I just checked your recommendations and couldn´t find any ghost NICs. I also have VMtools installed.

After I´ve creating the virtual NICs (outside of the VM) type E1000, what I do is to run "Scan for hardware changes" in the Device Manager setup (here inside the VM). Automatically he detects the NIC as Intel PRO 1000MT but fails when tries to install the drivers (see some printscreens in my first post).

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

Then, it's a problem with the Guest OS.

Well, check this KB: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/3066752/you-cannot-install-a-vmware-driver-on-windows-serve...

If that doesn't work, try to re-install VMtools, it should work flawlessly with E1000.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos