VMware Cloud Community
bwilsey84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Network Issues on new Host

I came onto a project which has two ESXi hosts, they are both on the same network. The one that is working is ESXi 5.5, the one not working (network wise) is running ESXi 6.0, unfortuantely I have about 0 network experience and I believe the issue is with the network setup. The host that is working is connected to the main switch on the LAN, which is trunked to another switch that the 6.0 host is connected too. I am using the NIC that is connected to a port assigned for VLAN 5, which the working host is on. When testing the network I can't ping or resolve the hostname. I am trying to use the main switch (The one that the host is not direct connected too) as the default gateway.

For instance

Host 1 (working host) VLAN 5 IP 192.168.5.4 Subnet 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.5.1  DNS 192.168.5.200

Host 2 (Not working) VLAN 5 IP 192.168.5.5 Subnet 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.5.1 DNS 192.168.5.200

The switch that host 2 is connected to also connects to other NIC's on Host 1 as a control switch.

Unless the port that I am using isn't actually on VLAN 5 I'm not sure why it isn't working. And thats about the extent of my networking knowledge.

Any help and good suggestions on learning VM networking would be apprecieated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From what I understand there are two issues with this.

For the first one "...  or resolve the hostname .. " ensure that the DNS server contains a static Host-A entry for the ESXi host. ESXi doesn't register itself in DNS, this has to be done manually.

For the other issue it's more like guessing. Assuming that the network setup works, and the host is connected to a port in VLAN5, all I can think of is that you accidentally set the VLAN ID in the host's Management network to 5 too. If this is the case, remove the VLAN ID from the settings, to see whether this resolves the issue.

To find out whether the switch port is configured as expected, you may use a laptop with IP settings in the VLAN5 subnet range, and connect it to the port on which you currently have the non-working ESXi host. Then see whether pinging from/to the laptop works.

André

bwilsey84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the host record in DNS, its not resolving because of the network issue since it can't even reach the DNS server.

Im going to try and putty into the switch and see what else I can break haha. My guess is that the port isn't assigned the correct VLAN like its labeled

0 Kudos
imacfj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you assigned the correct VLAN id to the vmkernel port on the vswitch? are the correct uplink adapters selected.

Are these hosts using a standard vswitch or dvswitch?

0 Kudos
bwilsey84
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No vswitch has even been created yet. I can't access the Host 2 via vCenter or the vSphere client because of the network issue. It will be using a standard switch once I can actually get to it. Unless you mean create a vswitch through the command line which I dont know how to do.

0 Kudos