VMware Cloud Community
seurat_atreides
Contributor
Contributor

NetApp ONTAP VM Lab environment

Hi *,

I am in the process of setting up a VM-Lab for IT-OPs training purposes.

The idea is to have a portable platform comprised of an x86_64 server + vSphere 6.7 to run all required VMs

that will allow me to simulate a clustered NetApp ONTAP cluster with the required vNETs, client OSs and a vRouter.

The hardware used has the following specifications:

• Shuttle DH270 bare-bone
  • Intel Core i7-7700, 4 x 3.6GHz
  • 1 TB HDD, 2.5" SATA
  • WLAN/Bluetooth kit for Shuttle bare-bones
  • Samsung EVO 256 GB NVMe SDD, M.2 PCIe
  • 32 GB SO DDR4 RAM

While searching for a vRouter application I started by trying out vyOS 1.2 only to find out that it doesn't support

the RTL8821 chip powering the Shuttle WLAN/Bluetooth kit.

I then proceeded to try out ZeroShell and behold, it supports the WLAN chip via vSphere PCI-passthrough.

ZeroShell has a very easy to use WebGUI that has allowed me to set up all required VLANs and trunk these

to the vSwitch where all other VMs will be connected to.

I'm still experimenting with the NAT setup in ZeroShell that will provide access to Internet.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Can you clarify your question? Netapp does have  a ontap simulator you can download and if your really dedicated ontap select is basically a virtualized array from my understanding. If your having trouble with vyos, try sophos utm, or even make your own linux one. The custom linux router is a good learning experience without getting stuck in routers specific languages.

0 Kudos
Rebelinux
Contributor
Contributor

You can follow Neil Anderson great course about NetApp. He offers instructions about setting up the labs and the hardware requirements of the course.

https://www.flackbox.com

0 Kudos
seurat_atreides
Contributor
Contributor

What I posted is not meant as a question; it's meant to be a contribution to all who wish to set up their own portable ESXi server for NetApp ONTAP simulation.

The problem I had with vyOS is that it doesn't support the wireless network card I have installed in my server.

I find ZeroShell is much better than vyOS and supports my wireless card out-of-the-box!

0 Kudos