VMware Cloud Community
carlespr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Need to understand licenses

Hello,

I have eight ESX licensed but the process was done before I joined the company.

Now I will install a new ESX in another location, to have it licensed I have to add it to a vCenter or it can be licensed somehow else?

Which requisites the ESX has to meet to be licensed when adding it to a vCenter? If I install ESX 6.0.0 what does vCenter need to have to be licensed?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rahulsharma0304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

vSphere license is works on Socket / CPU basis, if you have license configured in vCenter and have sufficient CPUs available the you not need to install license on ESXi host. just add the host to vCenter, license will automatically configured on host.

Suppose you have installed 24 CPU license in your vCenter and you have added 3 ESXi host with 4 CPU on each, then total CPU used are 12.

you can still add 3 more ESXi host to that vCenter with 4 CPU on each host.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/whitepaper/vmware-vsphere_pricing-...

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly. Regards, Rahul Sharma

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rahulsharma0304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

vSphere license is works on Socket / CPU basis, if you have license configured in vCenter and have sufficient CPUs available the you not need to install license on ESXi host. just add the host to vCenter, license will automatically configured on host.

Suppose you have installed 24 CPU license in your vCenter and you have added 3 ESXi host with 4 CPU on each, then total CPU used are 12.

you can still add 3 more ESXi host to that vCenter with 4 CPU on each host.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/whitepaper/vmware-vsphere_pricing-...

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly. Regards, Rahul Sharma
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Some additional informations

If the 8 Hosts are managed by the same vCenter you already have the "vCenter Standard" edition which is the largest one of the 3 types and means you can managed an unlimited number of Hosts. So no more licensing needed there.

- Your vCenter needed to be the same or higher version than the ESXi

- The vCenter can managed different ESXi versions at the same time

- The vCenter can managed different ESXi editions at the same time

- The new ESX Host can have a different SnS level

But you need a license of the additional ESXi hosts and there you have up to 3+ different options

- vSphere ESXi Standard per CPU socket

- vSphere ESXi Enterprise Plus per CPU socket

- vSphere Robo Standard or Adv. includes 25VM Pack. Here are VMs licensed rather than CPU Socktes. You have the right to place up to 3 hosts at the Location and runs up to 25 VMs there. If you only have a need for 10 VMs you can split the license and can run 15 on a different location also with up to 3 hosts if needed (or only a single one). All the host can be managed from your existing vCenter standard at your main office.

Depends on the main purpose of your ESXi Host(s) there are vSAN or vSphere Desktop licenses as well. But you ask for a single Host at a remote location so your choice has to be one of the 3 options above.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos