VMware Cloud Community
Nani321
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Need to move the hosts from one vcenter to another vcenter

Dear experts
I need your suggetion how to move the esxi 6.7 hosts from vcenter(6.7) to new vcenter(6.7) . New vcenter which is in different network and different domain

Esxi version = 6.7
vCenter = 6.7 embedded vcsa.

Note: we are using standard switch ,all the Esxis are in different clusters and we are not using DRS.

Queries:

1.Is it ok like if we do by disconnecting it removing from inventory in old vc and adding it to new vc.
2.Do we need to keep the host in maintanence mode while adding it to new vcenter?
3.if we are not go with keeping the host in maintance mode .After adding the esxi to new vcenter do we need to restart the vms?
4.Coming to vcenter license . Can I use the same license to new vcenter at a time.

Please share your valuable suggestion ..

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Nani321 

Moderator: Please try and create a thread in the area for the product used - moved to vSphere Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> 1.Is it ok like if we do by disconnecting it removing from inventory in old vc and adding it to new vc.
Basically yes, if you don't use any features that require vCenter Server,. I'd suggest that you disable HA prior to migrating the host.

>>> 2.Do we need to keep the host in maintanence mode while adding it to new vcenter?
Not necessarily. It should be possible to disconnect/connect the host while it is not in a cluster without enabled Maintenance Mode. Once connected, you can then move it into a cluster.

>>> 3.if we are not go with keeping the host in maintance mode .After adding the esxi to new vcenter do we need to restart the vms?
No need to restart the VM's. I assume that the virtual networks (port groups/subnets) remain the same.

>>> 4.Coming to vcenter license . Can I use the same license to new vcenter at a time.
The official way to do this is to run the new vCenter Server in Evaluation Mode, and assign the license after shutting down the old one, i.e. have only as many license active as purchased at the same time.

André

0 Kudos
Nani321
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ,

Thanks for the reply.

Means do I need to disable the HA in cluster which in old vcenter before moving it to new vcenter ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It's not a requirement, but more of a recommendation to avoid possible issues, or warnings, depending on the current HA configuration.

André

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Just to add my 5 cents:

- Make  sure the host you are migrating has network connectivity on the new vCenter (MGMT & vMotion vmkernels can ping other host's vmkernel interfaces, try using vmkping)
- Make sure the hosts are the same CPU brand family in the new cluster, else, make sure you have EVC enabled.

I would not migrate any VMs unless it's needed

0 Kudos
Nani321
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes.i had opened the firewall openings between the hosts and new vcenter.

Which port is mandatory to connect host to vcenter is it 80 or 443 

0 Kudos
Nani321
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So , it means it's better to disable the HA in the clusters which are in old vc right ?.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> So , it means it's better to disable the HA in the clusters which are in old vc right ?.

Yes.

0 Kudos