VMware Cloud Community
PaPaGaLiX
Contributor
Contributor

NVIDIA / AMD GPU Passthrough on ESXI 6.5 Issue

Hello,

I am trying to passthrough AMD & NVIDIA GPUs and I have no luck with both of them.

Since I read everywhere everything written and there is no working solution for me I am willing to pay someone to login and setup the GPU's.

Please let me know if there is someone willing to do it cause I just give up.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
IvarHome
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Nvidia forget, never works. AMD must work without any special settings. If not, try another card.

0 Kudos
PaPaGaLiX
Contributor
Contributor

I already tried with RX 480 and then RX 580 and still get the same crash on windows once the gpu is added

0 Kudos
IvarHome
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hard to say where is problem. I can only say my configuration: ESXi 6.5, Windows 8.1, AMD Radeon 5450

0 Kudos
PaPaGaLiX
Contributor
Contributor

I also have AMD FirePro S9010 but still the windows crashes

0 Kudos
IvarHome
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What Windows it is? When it crashes? Seems some windows problem.

0 Kudos
PaPaGaLiX
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to run Windows 10 the crash reason is -> video tdr failure -> atikmpag.sys

This happens when the display driver takes place for the AMD GPU

0 Kudos
IvarHome
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

And I hope the drivers are card standard drivers? I use standard drivers. Windows 10 I havent tested at all with ESXi. But one thing may help, or it may not, I dont know. I have enabled in windows "test mode" or drivers "testsigning" mode. Its BCD bootmanager setting. It allows install any kind of drivers. Usually windows blocks drivers those arent signed with sertificate. It can set by command line bcdedit tool (from windows). But it was long time ago and I dont remember why I used it. I have in windows much very strange system drivers (rollback) or maybe it was for vmware tools. Dont remember, but finally its good mode. It dont hurt anything but just allows to install any kind of drivers. Usually windows blocks this but example Im not interested about this kind of microsoft self-activity.

0 Kudos
PaPaGaLiX
Contributor
Contributor

Everything looks pretty much simple...that is why I need someone to check what is going on and help me out. I am out of ideas cause everyone is saying that AMD is the easiest way to add a GPU

0 Kudos
IvarHome
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

But maybe its good idea to install windows from beginning, at least for testing.

0 Kudos
PaPaGaLiX
Contributor
Contributor

Still no one ?!

0 Kudos
ely105
Contributor
Contributor

I've been able to get both AMD and NVIDIA cards to work.  but this is with ESXI 6.7U1.  Seems like folks have seen differences between 6.5 and 6.7.

I've been using more late model cards (GTX 1080ti, RTX 2080, 2080ti, Vega 64).  Don't know if older ones have different issues or not.

AMD(Radeon) card seems to work fairly well most of the time.  It has an annoying feature that comes up in 30Hz mode and I have to play with settings to get 60hz to stay.

NVIDIA: This one seems to work once fine, and then won't work again (ie restart or power down/up) until you reboot ESXI host.  The workaround to this is to disable the graphics card on shutdown and then reenable on startup.  Sounds like I pain but I scripted it on my system and it does it automatically so I don't have to remember.  It has been working reliably.

-m

0 Kudos
PaPaGaLiX
Contributor
Contributor

I can definitely upgrade to 6.7U and I have GTX 1080 and the others are RX 480, RX 580 and S9010 (which is not recognized as 7090 series).

I cannot pass even 1 of these cards.

If somebody can join and help would be awesome. I can provide user and pass for access and pay for the work cause I am stuck really bad with this.

Amipooh
Contributor
Contributor

Я использовал базовую статью: How to passthrough Radeon RX580 in ESXi 6.5 · nea0d/geek-how-to Wiki · GitHub

Но из нее я использовал добавление в passthru.map из каталога /etc/vmware/ :

# ATI
1002 ffff d3d0 false

Но только после обновления 6.5.0 Update 3 (Build 15177306)

Asus AMD rx-470 4gb

-

I used the basic article: How to passthrough Radeon RX580 in ESXi 6.5 · nea0d/geek-how-to Wiki · GitHub

Added to passthru.map file from the directory /etc/vmware/ :

# ATI

1002 ffff d3d0 false

But only after the update 6.5.0 Update 3 (Build 15177306)

pastedImage_5.png

0 Kudos