VMware Cloud Community
nimicyy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

NIC

hi,

in esx cluster if this is not HA,then a VM from a host within this cluster that fails,this VM will not be brought up on other host.right?

So if i have 2 VMs with linux inside and the 2 linux nodes form a cluster,if the 2 VMs are on the same host and this host fails then the cluster is down.right?

I have VMs that run linux cluster.

The 2 NICs that carry heartbeat traffic  are better to connect to a separate vswitch in every host?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

So you have a vSphere host cluster but no HA enabled? If you're not using HA on your host cluster, why do you have the cluster?

In which case, if a host fails all of it's VMs will fail - regardless of what OS or software they run.

Placing the nodes of your Linux cluster on different hosts would be advisable - you could have that done automatically via DRS rules if you had DRS enabled on your host cluster.

Regarding the heartbeat traffic for your Linux cluster, the answer would depend on your virtual and physical network setup - what NICs you have, what physical switches they are connected to, whether you have VLANs - plus the types of failure scenarios you are looking to protect against.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

So you have a vSphere host cluster but no HA enabled? If you're not using HA on your host cluster, why do you have the cluster?

In which case, if a host fails all of it's VMs will fail - regardless of what OS or software they run.

Placing the nodes of your Linux cluster on different hosts would be advisable - you could have that done automatically via DRS rules if you had DRS enabled on your host cluster.

Regarding the heartbeat traffic for your Linux cluster, the answer would depend on your virtual and physical network setup - what NICs you have, what physical switches they are connected to, whether you have VLANs - plus the types of failure scenarios you are looking to protect against.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
nimicyy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi,

i think that heartbeat traffic is better to travel over different physical nics ,not on the same physical nics that carry the data traffic.

so if we have a different vswitch on every host uplinked by 2 different nics-i think is better.

0 Kudos