VMware Cloud Community
redhot4400
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

NIC isn't detected while installing Esxi 6.7

Hello everybody,

For lab activities tried to installing Esxi 6.7.

The Desktop pc has the following configuration -

Processor: Intel Corei5

Mainboard: GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 which has

LAN - Killer LAN driver And BigFoot LAN driver

Problem showing Esxi installer DVD's unable to find the network card?

Wish to have some help over here.

Thanks in Advance

redhot4400

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Is it USB Ethernet device? Have you checked this NIC on VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

You may need to make some tweaks to ISO image you are using but only for lab/test purpose.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Is it USB Ethernet device? Have you checked this NIC on VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

You may need to make some tweaks to ISO image you are using but only for lab/test purpose.

dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

First, check the VCL: VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi isn't supported on desktop-class hardware. Although there are some home-grown drivers for ESXi that enable NICs of some types, most, if not detected, still aren't going to work. Do yourself a favor and either get used server-class hardware, or pick a desktop platform known to play nicely with ESXi.

Dave_the_Wave
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It won't work on desktop onboard NICs, as most of them are driven by the cpu and its chipsets.

Server-grade mainboards onboard NICs are very much like separate hardware, ie., Broadcom chips.

You might be able to get your desktop mainboard to work with a server-grade PCI-E Physical Adapter that is on the compatibility list.

Obviously you are doing this for lab only, you may also want to try nesting ESXi inside Workstation container.

redhot4400
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello everybody,

I have  added a NIC card on Desktop Mainboard (Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 3) which is ok with VMWare Esxi installation .                                                 

NIC card for VMWare Esxi 6.7 :       

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter-E1G42ET/dp/B00P26UP5W

I think the below one will also work:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BMZHX2/ref=psdc_13983711_t1_B00P26UP5W

Thanks in Advance

redhot4400