VMware Cloud Community
KeithMiyatake
Contributor
Contributor

NAS LUN not being presented to second ESXi 6.5 host (Essentials Plus)

My church has Vsphere Essentials Plus licensing.  We have created two ESXi 6.5 hosts.  We have a iSCSI NAS storage device.

We were completely successful creating the first ESXi 6.5 host and presenting the iSCSI LUN/Datastore but when we attempted to present and setup the same Datastore on the second ESXi 6.5 host we were unable to do so.  Both Physical servers are exactly the same make/model and have the same physical configuration.

What can be wrong?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

No propper ACL for that given LUN presented or forget to enable multible Host Access for that LUN.  A lot of systems have a protection that only one Host can access a LUN, because common filesystems like NTFS are not clusterfs.

Whats happens if you create a 2nd. LUN and try to mount this on your 2nd. Host.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What have you tried to do in the vSphere Client as part of the process, and what errors have you had?

(screenshots are helpful)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
KeithMiyatake
Contributor
Contributor

We didn't use the client.  we have been using the webclient into the specific ESXi host.  We do see that the vmk0 fails during the creation of the datastore, however.  This did not occur during the datastore connection on the first ESXi host.  It only occurs on the second.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

We do see that the vmk0 fails during the creation of the datastore

Please explain what exactly you are doing!

A datastore can be created only once. Once created, the LUN on which it resides has already been formatted with VMware's VMFS file system, so all that needs to be done is to present that LUN to the second host. It should then detect the datastore automatically.

André

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

There you have your issue, please try this steps
Create an NFS Datastore

https://www.wojcieh.net/how-to-add-nfs-export-to-vmware-esxi-6-5/ --> check the "Mount NFS Datastore to additional Hosts" section

Hope this works

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

He said he is using iscsi, this only applies to NFS

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

As others have said "  We do see that the vmk0 fails during the creation of the datastore, however." doesn't make much since. Usually with iscsi if it works the first time and not the other, make sure your lun is setup for multiple access or multiple initiators. For example if your using a nimble storage array, you check the  "Allopw multiple initator access" check box

Create a Volume

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I can't edit the last post, look at this link for the image I wanted to paste

https://infosight.hpe.com/InfoSight/media/cms/active/public/pubs_GUI_Administration_Guide_NOS_50x.wh...

0 Kudos
KeithMiyatake
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much.  Also, to clarify, we are using an NFS system but connecting using iSCSI initiators (software).  I'm not much on storage so I hope this helps

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Those are separate things, its impossible to do what your talking about, what is the storage device your using.

0 Kudos
KeithMiyatake
Contributor
Contributor

my bad.  I typed NFS.  DUMB.  it is a NAS device

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

The important part is if your using iscsi or nfs, as they are different,

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Oje......      12 Posts, 4 Days and its unclear if the OP use iSCSI or NFS and what kind of storage model/vendor he has.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
KeithMiyatake
Contributor
Contributor

using iscsi software initiators

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So please explain exactly what steps you are taking in the vSphere Client (in your browser) to try and get this connected.

Screenshots of your vSwitch setup and storage adapter setup from the vSphere Client would help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos