VMware Cloud Community
sandroalvesbras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Moving RDM disk from VM folder to another folder inside the datastore

Hello,

I created an RDM disk and copied / moved it to another folder.

But when I try to add an existing disk and locate the pointer, it does not show as a physical lun. Shows a common disk (Thick).

If I try to add the existing disk that is still in the VM folder, it shows as physical lun.

What did I do wrong?

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you create a RDM vmdk file with a command like
vmkfstools -z /vmfs/devices/disks/naa.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   diskname.vmdk
you can specify the full path instead of "diskname.vmdk"
or you simply use cd to change to the desired directory first.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Create a new RDM descriptor instead.

0 Kudos
sandroalvesbras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How do I do that?

0 Kudos
sandroalvesbras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It always creates in the VM folder.

I want to create in another folder.

I want the RDM pointers to be in another folder.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you create a RDM vmdk file with a command like
vmkfstools -z /vmfs/devices/disks/naa.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   diskname.vmdk
you can specify the full path instead of "diskname.vmdk"
or you simply use cd to change to the desired directory first.

sandroalvesbras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You saved my day yesterday.

I searched how to do it and contested it on a blog.

Can you tell me if this is really the only option to do the setup? It's a lot of work.

I created a LUN to save all RDMs and organized, but when I add another RDM disk, it automatically creates a directory with the server name and the rdmp file inside.

I am understanding if I need to add new RDMs, I go to the command line and manually create always, rather than create with vsphere webclient.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I created a LUN to save all RDMs and organized, but when I add another RDM disk, it automatically creates a directory with the server name and the rdmp file inside.

Once you add a new RDM to a VM, don't save the settings immediately, but open the RDMs settings. From there you can chose the location where the RDM mapping file will be stored. It's set to "Store with the virtual machine" by default.

Although this option exists, for me a different location to store the RDM mapping file only makes sense for RDMs, which are shared between VMs (e.g. for MSCS clustering). If the RDM belongs to a specific VM, I'd store it with the VM. It doesn't consume much disk space, and you have all the VM's files organized in a single folder.

André

0 Kudos
sandroalvesbras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, these RDMs are used in an MSCS.

I do what you say, but I can only choose the datastore where I want to save, but I can not choose a folder.

By default VMware will always create the RDM in the location where the VM configuration files are.

I want to find a simpler option to save the file to a specific folder.

Copying or moving the .vmdk file does not work.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In case of an MSCS, I'd actually follow continuum​'s recommendation, and create the RDMs from the command line.

This will not only allow you to specify a dedicated path, but also allows for using an independent, descriptive .vmdk name.

e.g.

mkdir /vmfs/volumes/cluster-ds/mscs1

vmkfstools -z /vmfs/devices/disks/naa.6001... /vmfs/volumes/cluster-ds/mscs1/Files.vmdk

vmkfstools -z /vmfs/devices/disks/naa.6002... /vmfs/volumes/cluster-ds/mscs1/Logs.vmdk

For details see also Creating a Physical Compatibility Mode Raw Device Mapping

André

sandroalvesbras
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I did this and it worked perfectly, but it is very laborious for those who do not have skill with esxi.

If you have no alternative, I will follow this guidance and move on to the end user, who when he needs it, will always have to do this.

I created a datastore with 10G, it was unnecessary right?

A datastore with 1G would be enough, right?

There will be 10 RDM files.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you have no alternative, I will follow this guidance and move on to the end user, who when he needs it, will always have to do this.

I'm  cuurently unaware of an option do do this from the GUI.

I created a datastore with 10G, it was unnecessary right?

A datastore with 1G would be enough, right?

Yes (almost) to both. The mapping files will only consume a few kB, and since you are using RDM in physical mode, they will be excluded from snapshots.

Note that unless I missed a current change, the minimum VMFS datastore size is 1.3 GB, but a minimum of 2GB is recommended.

André

0 Kudos