VMware Cloud Community
troncomputers
Contributor
Contributor

Moving 600Gb VM to new hard drive (datastore)

Hi!

I'm trying to move my VM from old hard drive to new one. VM has 600Gb and it's moving really slow. I have approx 2% for one hour.

Is this normal behavior?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Hi!

The asnwer is - it depends )

Can you provide some more information - what is a configuration behind both datastores?

Are they built on an external storage or server's local disks? What is a RAID configuration? How both datastores are connected? and etc..

You can check latencies and speed using esxtop command and switching to disk screen using 'u' button.

0 Kudos
troncomputers
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not phisically near the machine. I'm doing it remotelly. Both hard drives are local disks connected by SATA.

I've already started the moving and I'm not able to cancel it...

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

How are you moving your VM? using storage vmotion or by copying vmdk files using datastore browser?

0 Kudos
troncomputers
Contributor
Contributor

Datastore Browser has "Move a file from this datastore to another location accesible to vCenter" option. I've selected whole directory with VM files in it.

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Ok, so you are copying your VM files through network using your client\vcenter as a man in the middle.

If you've connected to host remotly using slow network channel than speed is limited by this channel.

0 Kudos
troncomputers
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not connected remotelly to VM Host. I'm connected to some kind of terminal machine by remote desktop and this machine has vSphere. My client VM Host has two hard drives - 1Tb and new one 4Tb. I'm trying to copy from 1Tb to 4Tb, why network is involved in this?

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Network is used because you initiated Move command through vsphere client.

The better way to copy VMs' files within the same host is by CLI - scp  or vmkfstools.

0 Kudos
troncomputers
Contributor
Contributor

Ok so... I can't cancel it now so It's f*cked up right?

0 Kudos