VMware Cloud Community
maikelfernandez
Contributor
Contributor

Move VM Machine from one Host to

I have a Dell Server R430 with ESXI 6.0, I also have another Dell Server R530 with ESXI 6.5. I want to move a VM Server from one host 6.0  to host 6.5 on the same network because the R530 has a lot more storage. What's the best option?

I read of cloning the VM Machine but I don't see the cloning option when I do a right click on the vSphere Client of the R430 host. is it only a matter of upgrading the license on the R430 host to include clonning or should do it manually. Also would there be a conflict because the host version are different?

Thanks for the help.

Labels (1)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Giodomi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

I suppose you are not using vCenter so the vmotion is not an option.

what about exporting and importing the VM?

Kudos if it was helpful

GioDomi
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

In the absence of a vCenter Server managing both hosts, your options include:

- Copying the files and registering the VM on the destination host

- vCenter Converter Standalone

- Export the VM to OVF, import it from OVF

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

"Cloning" is a feature of the vSphere vCenter and not of the Host.

If you dont have a vCenter.... do you have VM Backup(Veeam or one of the others) because than Backup&Restore or a simple VM Repliation (speaking of Veeam).

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Another option that I've used a couple of times in the past is https://williamlam.com/2012/06/how-to-copy-vms-directly-between-esxi.html

André

0 Kudos