VMware Cloud Community
hessercan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Move ESXi servers VMDK missing files.

I have a website hosted on ESXi, with a couple snapshots. I moved everything over to the new server and everything seemed fine after the 2nd attempt. It failed once, but when I was trying to register the VM it was missing. I noticed the vmx file was gone, so I created a new vm and used the existing virtual drive. Well that won't boot either. I loaded up ubuntu live desktop and was browsing the disk and it looks like ubuntu is installed, but all my files are gone. My www sub folder is gone as well as my ssl certs and apache2 conf files. I then noticed one of the descriptor files was missing, I attempted to recreate it using the guide on VMwares site, but still nothing. If anyone has any insight as to what is going on and how to fix it please let me know!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

snapshots in VMware product work as a chain, where each chain link is in use. With creating a new VM, and attaching the virtual disk, you've most likely attached the base disk, rather than the latest snapshot in the chain, thus the old guest OS state.

Do you still have the original files? Note that each virtual disk (base disk as well as snapshots) consists of two .vmdk files, a small metadata file, and a data file (flat, delta, or sesparse).

After copying the files, run ls -lisa from the command line to verify that all files in the VM's folder have been copied.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

snapshots in VMware product work as a chain, where each chain link is in use. With creating a new VM, and attaching the virtual disk, you've most likely attached the base disk, rather than the latest snapshot in the chain, thus the old guest OS state.

Do you still have the original files? Note that each virtual disk (base disk as well as snapshots) consists of two .vmdk files, a small metadata file, and a data file (flat, delta, or sesparse).

After copying the files, run ls -lisa from the command line to verify that all files in the VM's folder have been copied.

André

0 Kudos
hessercan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think I know what happened. During the failed move, it copied one of the descriptor files but nothing else. I didn't know that and deleted that folder in an attempt to copy instead of move this time. Through a bunch of guides online, I was able to recreate the missing descriptor file. I also discovered I was linking the wrong vmdk to the VM resulting in missing data. Basically the contents of the drive included everything from my 1st snapshot. After linking the last vmdk to the VM I was able to boot into ubuntu live desktop and all my files are there. It still doesn't boot, but I don't care. I am rebuilding this VM and importing the database and restoring all the files manually. Now I just have to figure out a better backup solution.

0 Kudos