VMware Cloud Community
nizuwizu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mixed ESXi 6.0U2 and 6.5 cluster

Hi,

I have a small cluster of ESXi 6.0U2 hosts that we now need to add more hosts to. Ideally the plan was to install the new hosts at the latest version ESXi 6.5, migrate VMs and then upgrade our original hosts to ESXi 6.5. Unfortunately we have some applications that are only currently certified for ESXi 6 and not 6.5 so we will need to remain at version 6 for the time being at least for some of the hosts.

As a long term approach VMware support have already confirmed that its ok to mix ESXi 6.0U2 and ESXi 6.5.All cluster features will continue to work. I was suprised at this and originally had my doubts if this was a good solution but i like the idea of not being restricted on all hosts version. Whilst it might be possible to create a second cluster for ESXi 6.5 hosts i thought the best plan would be to keep the hosts together to increase resilience.

Are there any potential gotchas that i haven't considered if i run half of my hosts on version ESXi 6 and half on version ESXi 6.5 contained within the same cluster?

I appreciate that the HW level will need to be set to version 11 and not 13.

The hosts are all of the same CPU family type and we will be running them at a specific EVC mode as we do currently.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MartinGustafsso
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It's supported to mix. Just make sure you update vCenter first.

Newer VMware Tools will work on older hosts, vSphere HA and DRS will also continue to function.

As you pointed out, virtual hardware will have to be kept at a maximum of 11, VMFS-6 won't work on 6.0 hosts as well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MartinGustafsso
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It's supported to mix. Just make sure you update vCenter first.

Newer VMware Tools will work on older hosts, vSphere HA and DRS will also continue to function.

As you pointed out, virtual hardware will have to be kept at a maximum of 11, VMFS-6 won't work on 6.0 hosts as well.

0 Kudos
nizuwizu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thats great thanks. I had forgotten about the new VMFS level.

I can choose to upgrade tools to the latest version or not. Is it better to use the latest version of VMware tools that is provided with ESXi 6.5 for all VMs even if they are running on ESXi 6?

0 Kudos
MartinGustafsso
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can use the latest available VMware Tools.

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 3.36.03 PM.png

0 Kudos