VMware Cloud Community
oscarapi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrating from Hyper-V and upgrading Free ESXi version to VMware vSphere Essentials Kit

Hi.

We're about to upgrade our license from the free one to the essentials kit. Right now we have 2 VM hosts (first one is ESXi 6.7 and the second one is Hyper-V Server). I'd love to get rid of the hyper-v one and install the ESXi on the second one as well. Essentials kit comes up with vCenter essentials and if I'm correct it is used to manage the ESXi hosts so they wont be treated like "standalone hosts" anymore - am I right? I'd like to install it on the already existing ESXi 6.7 host. Is that possible without interrupting anything, or the fresh install is required? if it comes to the upgrading the license key the only thing I will have to do on the existing host is just the key change and it will unlock the features - correct?

Our vm with AD is running at our ESXi, so I really would not like to do anything that could damage or interrupt the VM.

TL:DR

Can I install the vCenter on existing ESXi 6.7 standalone host?

Is there a way to migrate from Hyper-V Server 2016 to ESXi 6.7 or will I have to do a clean installation and set up all of the VMs from the start?

Upgrading ESXi 6,7 Free to Essentials kit - do I only need to change license key and it will unlock the features or it requires some sort of reinstalation?

If I will have to perform the clean instal of the vCenter on the existing ESXi host - what is the best way to backup whole ESXi along with settings and VMs so I won't have to set it up again?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
larstr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, mount the .iso file on your client, run the installer and point to your existing ESXi host when asked for it.

Is there a way to migrate from Hyper-V Server 2016 to ESXi 6.7 or will I have to do a clean installation and set up all of the VMs from the start?

Yes, you can use VMware Converter.  https://www.vmware.com/go/getconverter

Upgrading ESXi 6,7 Free to Essentials kit - do I only need to change license key and it will unlock the features or it requires some sort of reinstalation?

Install vCenter, add the licenses, and add your host. No need to reinstall anything.

If I will have to perform the clean instal of the vCenter on the existing ESXi host - what is the best way to backup whole ESXi along with settings and VMs so I won't have to set it up again?

No need to start from scratch. Good luck!

Lars

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
larstr
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, mount the .iso file on your client, run the installer and point to your existing ESXi host when asked for it.

Yes, you can use VMware Converter.  https://www.vmware.com/go/getconverter

Install vCenter, add the licenses, and add your host. No need to reinstall anything.

No need to start from scratch. Good luck!

Lars

0 Kudos