VMware Cloud Community
sweehan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Migrating VM with shared VMDK to new storage

I have a few VM cluster with shared VMDK need to be migrated to new storage. Anyone perform this kind of migration before? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

@sweehan.

Yeah in that case it will work for sure, you can do the movement without any issues. Just power-off the servers.

Check the resolution section in this KB for reference: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/79910

View solution in original post

7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That's actually a common task with migrations, so yes, this will work fine.
How does your environment look like in means of storage access for the hosts?

André

0 Kudos
sweehan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm migrating the VMs with share vmdk from host on cluster1 to host on cluster2. Cluster2 is a hyperconverge environment. 

To migrate the VM with share vmdk, the VMs need to be shut down?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I may have misunderstood the question, so first let's clearify this.

When you say "To migrate the VM with share vmdk .." are you actually taling about VMs that have access to the same virtual disks, or - what I first undertood - that the virtual disks are stored on shared storage.

For VMs with shared virtual disks (e.g. MSCS, etc.) things may be different, and depend on the VM (OS, configuration, etc.).

André

0 Kudos
sweehan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, both VMs have access on the same virtual disk. The guest OS version is window server 2012R2. 

I was thinking if the VMs can be migrated to the nutanix by shutting down both VMs and migrate via replication with tools such as veeam replication. 

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hey @sweehan,

You won't be able to replicate the virtual machines with the SCSI Bus Sharing enabled for the VMDK if you have it on Multi-Write as the Snapshots are not supported.

Could you please let us know how the VMDK are configured?

0 Kudos
sweehan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

it is configured with scsi bus sharing physical mode, not configured with multi-write and disk mode is dependent. What about if i join the nutanix nodes to the same vcenter as another cluster then perform compute and storage vmotion with both VMs shutdown. 

Will it work?

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

@sweehan.

Yeah in that case it will work for sure, you can do the movement without any issues. Just power-off the servers.

Check the resolution section in this KB for reference: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/79910