VMware Cloud Community
jmontgomery2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migrating VM's from Local Storage ESXi to a new SAN Environment

I am looking for a tool or easier process to migrate existing VM's from an ESXi Host with Local Storage to a new SAN Environment and ESXi Hosts without taking down and cold migrating the Virtual Machines.  The older ESXi Hosts don't have physical access to the SAN as they have no Fiber Channel Cards in them.  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
Could you please validate the following options:

vCenter Converter Standalone (vcenter server required).

Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
jmontgomery2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter Converter Standalone (vcenter server required) I thought this was removed from VMware site?  They do have a vCenter in the existing environment but it local storage.

Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition Standard is Version 10

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What if you setup a temporary NFS Datastore and migrated your VM storage from local storage to NFS then NFS to the new SAN ? Would be a two step process, but would give you the uptime during the migration you are looking for.

--Alan--

0 Kudos
jmontgomery2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was also wondering if I could use my Enterprise License for vCenter and ESXi Hosts and just create a new secondary cluster within the vCenter with the new equipment and use the Migration option with the Storage and CPU Resources?

0 Kudos