VMware Cloud Community
TimCanning668
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Method to force vSphere Web Client users to change password on first log-in

Good Morning,

I am quite new to VMWare vSphere so please, I apologise if this is a numpty question!

I am tasked with managing two ESXi 7.0.3b Virtualisation host servers in a fully isolated network.  At the moment I cannot use vCenter Server so I am using the vSphere web client.  There are only a dozen VM's across the two servers in an industrial control application.  I want to create a number of users of the vSphere Web Client, set a base password that they must change on first use.  I can;t see a method to do this, and google searches have come up blank.

Is there a way to do this please?

Tim C

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hey Tim, 

So vSphere is a product including vCenter and ESXi hosts. Once you wrote vSphere web client  I presume you have a vCenter where you can manage your ESXi hosts. 

Or do you have stand-alone hosts and you login to hosts directly? 

Do you have Active Directory in your environment ? 

Visit my blog:AngrySysOps.com
YT: AngryAdminYoutube
Visit my:Xwitter

If my answer has successfully addressed your issue, kindly mark it as RESOLVED. If it has provided valuable assistance, consider giving it a KUDOS. Thanks
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

The GUI you use to manage Hosts directly is called "Host Client" where "WebClient" referred to the old Flash based vCenter client which is replace some time ago with the HTML5 version which named "vSphere Client".

Now to you problem... managing user and especially permissions is limited when use the Hostclient because this is a feature of the vCenter. But both havent such a feature "change password on first login".

Regards,
Joerg

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@Mason69 

Why did you copy exactly what I wrote? 

@IRIX201110141 That is true, there is no option for "change password on first login", however, if he has AD accounts, he can force that by making users login to bastion hosts, where "change password on first login" can be forced, provided he hide vCenter behind bastion. 

Visit my blog:AngrySysOps.com
YT: AngryAdminYoutube
Visit my:Xwitter

If my answer has successfully addressed your issue, kindly mark it as RESOLVED. If it has provided valuable assistance, consider giving it a KUDOS. Thanks
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@ptarnawski 

Copy/paste comments are usually from spammers, there is a Report Inappropriate Content option on the "3 dots" menu to the right of any post or comment which sends a notification to moderators of the Communities.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog