felixlahemade
Contributor
Contributor

Memory increase not taken into account

Hello,

I've already tried a lot of different thoughts and a lot of research, nothing working in my case, so here it is.

I am using "vSphere client version 6.5.0.13000" and I came across an issue I don't understand.

I'm trying to increase the memory of a VM, from 8 to 16Go. The thing is, when validating, nothing happens, and the amount remains the same. Changing it on my others VMs works fine, but not this one.

Eventually, I get this error :

Unexpected token (END_OBJECT), expected FIELD_NAME: missing property '_type' that is to contain type id  (for class java.lang.Exception)

at [Source: java.io.StringReader@3c1645b0; line: 54, column: 9] (through reference chain: com.vmware.vsphere.client.vm.VmConfigSpec["originalConfig"]->com.vmware.vim.binding.vim.vm.ConfigInfo["tools"]->com.vmware.vim.binding.vim.vm.ToolsConfigInfo["lastInstallInfo"]->com.vmware.vim.binding.vim.vm.ToolsConfigInfo$ToolsLastInstallInfo["fault"])

I'm posting here hoping someone has already encoutered a similar error. Is there a workaround ?

I'll be happy to provide more information about the VM, if it seems it is related to its configuration.

Thanks in advance for every thoughts you may have,

Cheers,

Tags (2)
4 Replies
agostini
Contributor
Contributor

Hi felixlahemade,

I have exactly the same error. My scenario is: VM Linux cloned from another VM esx5.0 compatible.
Perfectly work, but with an old OS release. So upgraded it to Centos8. Now running but with the same old CPU/RAM configurations, so I try to upgrade to 4CPU and 8GB RAM.

In PowerOff mode, edit configuration and apparently work but at the bottom of Vcenter webpage a warning icon appear with this error:

Unexpected token (END_OBJECT), expected FIELD_NAME: missing property '_type' that is to contain type id (for class java.lang.Exception)

at [Source: java.io.StringReader@44ea78eb; line: 54, column: 9] (through reference chain: com.vmware.vsphere.client.vm.VmConfigSpec["originalConfig"]->com.vmware.vim.binding.vim.vm.ConfigInfo["tools"]->com.vmware.vim.binding.vim.vm.ToolsConfigInfo["lastInstallInfo"]->com.vmware.vim.binding.vim.vm.ToolsConfigInfo$ToolsLastInstallInfo["fault"])

I'm using vcenter with vsphere 6.5.

So, I have upgrade compatibility to esx6.5, migrate to other Host, and other test, but I have the same result.

Can you help me?

Regards

Alessandro Agostini

0 Kudos
felixlahemade
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Alessandro,

I still have no clue about what's going on.

I tried to clone the machine but the same error showed up again. I thus believe it is related to the VM itself.

According to what you say, I guess it cannot be related to the OS as my VM is running Windows Server 2019.

The only "solution" I can think of currently is to start over with a brand new VM.

I'm really interested if you find clues about this.

I contacted the VmWare assistance but I don't have an answer yet.

Good luck to you and regards,

Félix

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you tried creating a new VM with the equivalent hardware configuration but no disks, and adding disks to it which use the VMDK files of your current VM?

agostini
Contributor
Contributor

Hello scott28tt,​

sincerely no. But it is a good choice. I have some doubt about security of this operation, so I think is better copy vmdk files out Datastore, first.

Thanks for your help.

Alessandro

0 Kudos