VMware Cloud Community
felixlahemade
Contributor
Contributor

Memory increase not taken into account

Hello,

I've already tried a lot of different thoughts and a lot of research, nothing working in my case, so here it is.

I am using "vSphere client version 6.5.0.13000" and I came across an issue I don't understand.

I'm trying to increase the memory of a VM, from 8 to 16Go. The thing is, when validating, nothing happens, and the amount remains the same. Changing it on my others VMs works fine, but not this one.

Eventually, I get this error :

Unexpected token (END_OBJECT), expected FIELD_NAME: missing property '_type' that is to contain type id  (for class java.lang.Exception)

at [Source: java.io.StringReader@3c1645b0; line: 54, column: 9] (through reference chain: com.vmware.vsphere.client.vm.VmConfigSpec["originalConfig"]->com.vmware.vim.binding.vim.vm.ConfigInfo["tools"]->com.vmware.vim.binding.vim.vm.ToolsConfigInfo["lastInstallInfo"]->com.vmware.vim.binding.vim.vm.ToolsConfigInfo$ToolsLastInstallInfo["fault"])

I'm posting here hoping someone has already encoutered a similar error. Is there a workaround ?

I'll be happy to provide more information about the VM, if it seems it is related to its configuration.

Thanks in advance for every thoughts you may have,

Cheers,

Tags (2)
10 Replies
agostini
Contributor
Contributor

Hi felixlahemade,

I have exactly the same error. My scenario is: VM Linux cloned from another VM esx5.0 compatible.
Perfectly work, but with an old OS release. So upgraded it to Centos8. Now running but with the same old CPU/RAM configurations, so I try to upgrade to 4CPU and 8GB RAM.

In PowerOff mode, edit configuration and apparently work but at the bottom of Vcenter webpage a warning icon appear with this error:

Unexpected token (END_OBJECT), expected FIELD_NAME: missing property '_type' that is to contain type id (for class java.lang.Exception)

at [Source: java.io.StringReader@44ea78eb; line: 54, column: 9] (through reference chain: com.vmware.vsphere.client.vm.VmConfigSpec["originalConfig"]->com.vmware.vim.binding.vim.vm.ConfigInfo["tools"]->com.vmware.vim.binding.vim.vm.ToolsConfigInfo["lastInstallInfo"]->com.vmware.vim.binding.vim.vm.ToolsConfigInfo$ToolsLastInstallInfo["fault"])

I'm using vcenter with vsphere 6.5.

So, I have upgrade compatibility to esx6.5, migrate to other Host, and other test, but I have the same result.

Can you help me?

Regards

Alessandro Agostini

0 Kudos
felixlahemade
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Alessandro,

I still have no clue about what's going on.

I tried to clone the machine but the same error showed up again. I thus believe it is related to the VM itself.

According to what you say, I guess it cannot be related to the OS as my VM is running Windows Server 2019.

The only "solution" I can think of currently is to start over with a brand new VM.

I'm really interested if you find clues about this.

I contacted the VmWare assistance but I don't have an answer yet.

Good luck to you and regards,

Félix

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you tried creating a new VM with the equivalent hardware configuration but no disks, and adding disks to it which use the VMDK files of your current VM?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
agostini
Contributor
Contributor

Hello scott28tt,​

sincerely no. But it is a good choice. I have some doubt about security of this operation, so I think is better copy vmdk files out Datastore, first.

Thanks for your help.

Alessandro

0 Kudos
ramirodagerb1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

did you find a solution to this problem? Exactly the same thing is happening to me and I can't find documentation for a possible solution.

0 Kudos
ramirodagerb1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

did you find a solution to this problem? Exactly the same thing is happening to me and I can't find documentation for a possible solution.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

If the webinterface is not cooperative then
- power off VM
- remove from inventory
- edit vmx-file with embedded editor of WinSCP and adjust
- memSize = "8192"
- to the value you want and save the file.
Register the VM again and the new RAM should show up.
Dont do this if your VM has snapshots or is suspended.

Ulli

0 Kudos
ramirodagerb1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, thank you very much for the answer. in case you need to modify CPU or disk as you would do in that case. Can you please be more explicit?

0 Kudos
junior_barbosa
Contributor
Contributor

I recently had the same problem when trying to expand the memory of a Linux VM from 8GB to 16GB.

In mine I managed to solve it using the Flash version of Vcenter, but as it is no longer supported I followed this tutorial to access it in Flash mode:
https://www.reddit.com/r/flash/comments/l5r6fs/tutorial_how_to_run_flash_in_a_web_browser_with/

I'm using vcenter with vsphere 6.5.

Att,
Junior Cesar

0 Kudos
TheProcess
Contributor
Contributor

Ended up running into this error today . Could not connect a ISO to the vm using Vcenter 6.5. Upgrading the Vmware Tools version made no difference. Went directly to the Host ESXI and was able to make changes.

Unexpected token (END_OBJECT), expected FIELD_NAME: missing property '_type' that is to contain type id (for class java.lang.Exception)
at [Source: java.io.StringReader@4af4ed59; line: 54, column: 9] (through reference chain: com.vmware.vsphere.client.vm.VmConfigSpec["originalConfig"]->com.vmware.vim.binding.vim.vm.ConfigInfo["tools"]->com.vmware.vim.binding.vim.vm.ToolsConfigInfo["lastInstallInfo"]->com.vmware.vim.binding.vim.vm.ToolsConfigInfo$ToolsLastInstallInfo["fault"])

0 Kudos