VMware Cloud Community
Antax
Contributor
Contributor

Maximum VMFS 6 DataStore size

I have searched but only found old discussions. We have 6 sites running vSphere 6.7 with an iSCSI connection to a QNAP storage at each site. What is the maximum size that the data store can be? I used to think it was 64TB but we already have one site with a 70.63TB data store. We are getting 2 - 360TB storage arrays that will be located in 2 of the sites. Can I use the entire 360TB as a single data store?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

For VMFS datastores, the maximum supported size is 64TB, with a maximum file size of ~62TB.

For NFS Mounts, it's basically the storage system which limits the datastore size, but the max. supported file size is still ~62TB (maybe less, depending on the storage system's capabilities).

André

0 Kudos
Antax
Contributor
Contributor

But we have a 70.63TB drive or is it possible to have a data store larger than 64TB but just not supported?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... or is it possible to have a data store larger than 64TB but just not supported?

Maybe, but personally I wouldn't want to take the risk in a critical/production environment.

see https://configmax.vmware.com/guest?vmwareproduct=vSphere&release=vSphere%206.7&categories=2-0

André

0 Kudos
Antax
Contributor
Contributor

Would it be preferable to create an OS level iSCSI connection to our new 360TB array and not use the vSphere iSCSI? We did this in the past but it required more management of the systems since each system had its own iSCSI connection.

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hey, hope you are doing fine

MAximum Datastore size for VMFS 6 is 64TB and Max file size is somewhere arroud 62TB. (that was said before)
something important to take into consideration is restore/replication/migration times for that ammount of data.

If possible i'd suggest splitting into smaller disks.

Hope that infomation was useful

0 Kudos