VMware Cloud Community
mcharest
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Main console freeze

When I tried to login the main console, after entering user name password. and pressing ok, the dialog closes and the console becomes unresponsive.

The whole story:

ESX 6.7 U3

I added a sched.swap.dir option to a VM, to move the swap file on a different datastore. When I restarted the VM, the web interface became unresponsive. The other VM were still running but web interface was dead. After a reboot of ESX, web client still dead. SSH not enabled. Went on the console, enter user name password.

After a reboot none of the VM are staring, but the first VM it starts is the one with the sched.swap.dir custom option.

I'm stuck.. I was hoping for is a boot option (SHIFT-O) I could specifiy that would prevent the VMs from being started assuming that it's the starting of the VM with the custom sched.swap.dir that screw thing up. Or an option that would enable ssh.

As I was typing this I realized the console is not totally stuck it just seems awfully slow. After about ~5 minutes, I saw the exected content flash by, it closed right away and then went back to the main screen and the login prompt.Processing keypress real slow maybe &

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcharest
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well it was the sched.swapDrivedName that caused ESX to misbehave. /var/core had some hostd core files...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mcharest
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

More details: after another 5 minutes the options menu showed up !!!!! I was able to browse normaly in the menus strutured an activate SSH.  And the option I specified was not sched.swap.dir but sched.swap.derivedName

I deleted the entry in the vmx file for the VM, rebooted but the problem is still there. I least now I have a way in, just have to be real patient.

0 Kudos
mcharest
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well it was the sched.swapDrivedName that caused ESX to misbehave. /var/core had some hostd core files...

0 Kudos