VMware Cloud Community
jcrozier
Contributor
Contributor

Locked vm files from crashed host

Hi

Just reading these threads and I have a bunch of locked files from several vm's on a shared san storage!

vmx, vmdk, log, vswap all locked, restarted all 3 hosts, and the san, removed from inventory, but files are still locked on the san!

I've tried releasing the locks and breaking them on the device, and they're still locked!

Can anyone help me with this and get these files unlocked? I'd be eternally grateful if you could?

Cheers

0 Kudos
7 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Which ESXi version do you use ?
The latest 6.* and 7.* come with quite good options to handle locked files.
If you tried all supported options already and nothing worked I can patch the heartbeat section - which handles locks - for you.

If that is necessary call me via skype. Patching is a dangerous task and I only do it if I have access to all details I need to know and if I can do it myself ...So do not expect that I send patch instructions to a forum post ...

Ulli

0 Kudos
jcrozier
Contributor
Contributor

It's 4.1 using a fibre channel san storage array, so isn't the newer versions!

0 Kudos
jcrozier
Contributor
Contributor

The vm's in question were gracefully shutting down, and then given the instruction to power off, then the host was initiated to reboot twice, and when that didn't work forced power off through the ILO control!

It wasn't pretty at all and has left the locks on the vm files which I just can't clear, I also can't move, copy or clone the files on the volume as the files still think the vm's are in a powered on state!

They've been removed from the inventory as they all appeared as disconnected, so were cleanly removed from inventory.

Hope that helps shed some light on where I am with things?

If I use vmfstools I can see the files are locked exclusively by the original hosts mac address, but I can't identify if any which cartel processes are potentially locking them, so I wonder if the lock is within the vm's config files?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

VMFS-locks are managed by an area in the hidden .vh.sf file called "heartbeat-section".

So they are located in the VMFS-metadata.

Ulli

0 Kudos
jcrozier
Contributor
Contributor

That makes sense, could you/would you be willing to help me get to it and remove the offending locks?

I'd happily call you on skype or however you preferred to do it?

Let me know, and what time zone are you in? I'm UK but will do any time to suit y ou?

Many many thanks in advance and any assistance greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I am in germany - try to catch me via skype late tomorrow afternoon.

Can you connect the the esxi via putty - that may require some preparations on your side ...

Ulli

0 Kudos
jcrozier
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome, yes I've got access to the cli from putty or tera term, but can do whatever you prefer.

I'll try and catch you on skype tomorrow.

0 Kudos