VMware Cloud Community
Gibbon67
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Loading OVA/OVF onto 6.7 free hypervisor

Hi,

I know there are several notes on the main site about the limitations of loading OVA or OVF files into version 6.7 via the HTML5 UI client. However I was just wondering if it is possible to load them via a URL after uploading them to the datastore.

I'm using a simple lab setup to test some SIP PBX pre-built systems that are delivered as OVA files (around 5-6GB each) but I can't upload these via the web UI either as an OVA or after extracting the files. I've tried Firefox, Chrome, Edge and they all fail to upload in the same way. I know in other vSphere clients the option to specify a URL to the OVA file exists but the HTML5 UI doesn't seem to allow this.

I could build new VMs from ISO files but that will add several hours of my time each time a new build comes out and they are arriving around every 10 days at the moment so that is a real pain.

Thanks

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gibbon67
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I was getting the "undefined error"  message and given the options of cancel or reload. I've tried a couple of other smaller .OVFs and they work. However, i've now installed the ovftool and that has uploaded the problematic files without issue, so I think it must be a size issue with the HTML5 UI.

Thanks for your advice

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
compwizpro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What error do you get when you attempt to upload?  You should be able to deploy OVFs with the free version.  Can you upload / deploy other OVFs to the host without the error?

Also, you might be able to use OVFTOOL to deploy the OVF but I don't remember if that requires a vCenter endpoint or if you can use an ESXi host instead.

0 Kudos
Gibbon67
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I was getting the "undefined error"  message and given the options of cancel or reload. I've tried a couple of other smaller .OVFs and they work. However, i've now installed the ovftool and that has uploaded the problematic files without issue, so I think it must be a size issue with the HTML5 UI.

Thanks for your advice

0 Kudos