VMware Cloud Community
telecom_tesla
Contributor
Contributor

Licensing - use 1 license of vSphere Enterprise Plus in several hosts

Hi,

my company is thinking about using vGPU.

As the license for vSphere Enterprise Plus is very expensive (~3500 EUR) I would want to know if we can use one license as many times as we need or we have to buy one license per ESXi host.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

the usage of vcpu doesnt count. you need one license per cpu-socket. or you license per vm, maybe that will become cheaper - then you can use as many hosts you need

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

In general I'd aske license questions to a local var or vmware represtentivate, but generally the licenses are for a set number of cpu in my experiance and you can use the license for as many hosts that add up to that cpu number.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Like Berndweyand said, its per socket, so I' was referring to the hardware cpu count.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That would be a violation of the End User License Agreement.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
AhmedIbrahimVMw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Exactly as Scott mentioned, this would be a violation of the EULA, and you would be doing something "illegal" if you assign the same key to multiple hosts.

Since your company wants to use a feature, you should convince them to pay for it, otherwise, look for "legal" alternatives.

0 Kudos