VMware Cloud Community
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

License key for Vcenter/ESXi hosts

We are on vCenter/ESXi 5.5.  We have decided to build a new vCenter 6.5 after a struggle with the upgrade (running on 60 days trial) and joining the ESXi hosts 5.5 onto the new vCenter.

When the host was added to the new vCenter, we were warned the license key of the host being on both vCenter?  Could we continue temporarily?

Of course we plan to get an updated 6.5 keys for production once it is done.

We proceeded anyways.  Just want to know the impact of it.

TT

0 Kudos
5 Replies
affy1392
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

if you have a grace period/trail on ESXi 6.5 host post migration there will be no impact as you will have all the provided functionality, going forward one host managed only one vCenter at at time hence when you will add to 6.5 vCneter it will disconnect from previous VC and will get added into 6.5 and there will be no impact on running vm's and it will validate the internal certificate with VC and will get to 6.5

0 Kudos
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

affy1392,

I am not sure if I understand you but after re-reading, its sound like we won't have any issues.  Let me give more details.

Current 5.5  (valid license keys for vCenter/ESXi hosts)

-----------------

VS (vcenter)

host1

host2

host5

6.5 (vCenter built today)

------------------------------------------

VS1 (has 60 days trial period)

host3 (disconnected from VS vCenter today (has not been removed) and joined into this vCenter today.  Had a warning about the license being on both vCenters)

host4 (disconnected from VS vCenter today (has not been removed) and joined into this vCenter today.  Had a warning about the license being on both vCenters)

We plan to upgrade host3 & host4 tomorrow to 6.5.  If it successful, we will bring in the rest of the hosts from VS vCenter.   We are in the process of requesting keys from VMware support (just opened a ticket).

TT.

0 Kudos
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert

I do not think you will have any issues.

0 Kudos
tanwk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can run evaluation license for your vC 6.5 just that you cannot log a support call at this interim for your vC.

There is no issue till you add all your host over to the new vC, you can upgrade that in your license portal to vC 6.5 license and use it.

Blog: http://plain-virt.blogspot.com
Twitter: @tanwk3
LinkedIn: http://sg.linkedin.com/in/weekiongtan
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Had a warning about the license being on both vCenters.

That's more of reminder that a warning. It's just making you aware of the fact that the host is currently managed by another vCenter Server. In case you try to add a "wrong" host accidentally, you would have the chance to cancel at this point. It's basically the same with the license keys. The Add Host wizard makes you aware of that, but as long as you ensure that your license isn't used twice (which isn't the case with moving licensed hosts) you're fine.

André

0 Kudos