VMware Cloud Community
TIDguy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

License issue with ESXI 6.7

Hi all,

I have a slight problem.

I built a VM environment for a client a few months back (pre Covid) Which had a vCentre server with to physical esxi hosts all built on 6.7.

When the head of the IT department purchased the licenses 2 months later he bought to suit vmware 7.0 which had only been released.

So I have upgraded the Vcentre server to 7.0 but have not upgraded the esxi host as they are running live servers on them.

My question is if there is a way to use the 7.0 license on the 6.7 esxi hosts without upgrade or do I just bite the bullet and upgrade the hosts?

Currently the esxi hosts are running with a free license.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can downgrade the 7 license to a 6 license in your/customer's MyVMware portal. This will allow you to assign that vSphere key to the ESXi hosts.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can downgrade the 7 license to a 6 license in your/customer's MyVMware portal. This will allow you to assign that vSphere key to the ESXi hosts.

0 Kudos
TIDguy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks daphnissov for the info glad to hear I can downgrade the license.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The secret is to click into the Action menu which is located in the upper left when watching your licenes/subscription contracts. It will start a wizard for downgrading licenses.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos