VMware Cloud Community
aomalaina
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

License for new ESX

Hi.

I've a Essential Plus License for 6 CPU's in a cluster of 3 servers.

Now, in the same vcenter, I want to add a new ESX server to manage from it, but I don't want to add this ESX to previous cluster, I want a standalone server.

What type of license have I to buy to this scenario? Is possible?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@aomalaina 

Yes, a vCenter Server with a vCenter Standard license can manage any number of licensed hosts (up to the maximum supported by the software)

Yes, a vSphere Standard license sounds like enough for the ESXi host based on the information you gave - it would depend on the features you wanted that host to support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@aomalaina 

The vCenter license you get with Essentials can only manage 3 hosts, so that license will need upgrading to vCenter Standard. Not sure if you can manage hosts that have vSphere Essentials Plus licenses with a vCenter Server that has a vCenter Standard license though.

You will also need a vSphere license of some sort for the new ESXi host, for it to be managed by a vCenter Server - vSphere Standard would be enough from the information you've given.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
aomalaina
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks.

In other platform, I've another vcenter standard where I can add this new ESX, isn't it?

For this new ESX, I would need a standard license, isn't it?

Regards

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@aomalaina 

Yes, a vCenter Server with a vCenter Standard license can manage any number of licensed hosts (up to the maximum supported by the software)

Yes, a vSphere Standard license sounds like enough for the ESXi host based on the information you gave - it would depend on the features you wanted that host to support

0 Kudos
aomalaina
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks

0 Kudos